New Macbook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alex.purple.mac, Dec 24, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

alex.purple.mac macrumors member

Hi I just bought a second hand Macbook Pro. It's the 13" 2010 one and it's only two months old. I am however a bit worried about the battery on it. The istat menu thing in dashboard says that it has a cycle count of 68 but the health of it is only 89%. I think this is a bit low for only 2 months, so I was just wondering whether this sounds right to you?

Oh and Merry Christmas!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Calibrate it as the reading may be very far off. If that is an accurate reading, yes, its wear is accelerated and once it is in the 80s, Apple will replace it (usually around 85 and below)...BUT since you purchased it second hand, I do not know how that would work or if you can transfer Applecare.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While you may find someone at an Apple store to make an exception, they usually won't replace a battery if it's still at 80% or above.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I guess they must like us then :)

Or maybe it is because my mother buys something every week:apple:

6. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help guys! Especially on christmas morning!

I had a read over that link and I think I will recalibrate it tomorrow, and if it is still showing about the same %, then I will keep an eye on it and take it to the Apple store once it gets to 80-85%. I have the receipt and it is still in the Manufacturers warranty, so I shouldn't have any problems there.

Thanks again

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Warranty and AppleCare are tied to the serial number of the machine not the owner therefore both are 100% transferrable.