New Macbook Pro Before Christmas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmlweb, Sep 26, 2010.

?

To buy now, or not to buy?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2010.
  1. Get the MBP now

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Wait it out another month, blah

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Agree on the dilemna :)

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. vmlweb macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm getting a Macbook pro for christmas and wondered if there have been any rumours about a new Macbook coming before christmas
    Or should I wait after christmas for a new release

I'm not sure

Thanks

2. NintendoFan macrumors regular

There is always that chance, but it will be a minor speed bump. The big jump you want will be early next year with Sandy Bridge.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There is a 2.8GHz i7 speed bump in the works, but for Sandy Bridge it will probably be February 2011 at the earliest.

4. DJ-R macrumors regular

... 2.66 Core i7 hyperthread up to 3.33Ghz is already fast enough on 2 threads and on 4 threads at ~2.8-2.9Ghz

Speed bump.. to me is meh

MAJOR upgrade would be SSD. No matter how fast is your CPU, your physical Hard Disk will always hold you back.

5. vmlweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it worth getting a $3000 macbook pro 15inch at christmas then?
    Or should I wait?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What will you use it for? It's likely that the current gen is sufficient for your needs. There will always be new tech coming so the waiting game is endless.

7. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

If you don't mind waiting a month or a two after Christmas, then wait.
    You won't be disappointed. :rolleyes:

P.S. Where do you live? 3000$ for 15inch MBP is very expensive! :eek:

8. Compton macrumors member

Partially true. However, using SSD rather than HDD results in a significant change in computer speed in daily usage. I'm waiting until I get a 256 Gb SSD drive for a reasonable price before updating. Hard drive is currently the bottleneck and, for the average joe, it is kind of pointless to invest in greater CPU speed before this limitation is removed or pushed further.

9. vmlweb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'll be using it for intense graphics gaming
    And I'm also an apple developer so I make Mac, iOS apps and games
    I'm also a film editor so I'll be using Final Cut Studio too

The reason I'm spending so much is because I really want a great laptop that I can use for a long long time before having to get a new one. I've been saving up for years too

What would I benefit by waiting till next february?
    Haven't apple just updated to i5,i7?

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If you are getting it Christmas, I'd wait. Even now I'm not so sure it's worth it to buy now (but... I'm an impatient person so if I were looking at getting a new computer now, not sure if I'd wait or not. I didn't wait when I bought this one, the 2010 13" and even then I felt that it may have been better to wait a year as the processor they are using is getting old and it is due for a change. Which means that if they change the processor next year, this computer will probably get outdated sooner than the computer I'd get next year will get outdated. And when I mean outdated I mean doesn't run much new stuff anymore, not supported. Like any pre core2duo computers at this point. But, I'm happy cause I'm very happy with this computer and happy not using my old computer as my main anymore).

In a few months afterwards they'll probably announce the new MBP's.

Shoot, I'd say definitely wait if you were interested in a 13" (I don't know how big a jump it will be for the 15" but I really get the feeling the 13" next year is going to get a big change).

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, the 13" is going to get a major revision because Core2Duo is approaching End Of Life and being phased out for the iX series processors. Next 13" with either have i3 or i5 Sandy Bridge.

12. vmlweb thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just that if I'm spending so much money I want to get a very powerful Macbook with all the latest tech in it so I don't need another one for ages

13. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Celebrated Christmas Q1 2011 when the new MBPs come out

Some of the C2D processors are halting production this month such as the MBA processors and the lower C2D in the MB(P), the last C2D ends in December

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

There probably will be an update of some kind in Q1 2011. The reality is that whenever you buy a new computer newer, faster computers will be developed within 3-6 months of your purchase. You have to look at your needs first and decide when to pull the trigger and buy a new one. There is no wrong decision here.

15. Hankcah macrumors regular

Do you think apple will redesign MacBook Pro before xmas?

I am in need/want of new MacBook Pro. I have access to other computers but life without a mac, is no life at all... lol

I have a feeling I will buy a new MBP and a month later Apple will release a sleek black MBP for same price. ugh. YES there is always something bigger, better or faster, but thoughts? Should I wait it out? Any rumors out there on when next apple event will take place?

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

17. Hankcah macrumors regular

They redesigned the iPhone, and its a world of a difference than the 3G/s. I have a feeling Apple with redesign one very similar to the iPhone 4, ya know...

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Aluminium design from the PowerBook and MacBook Pro stayed with us for five years and almost ten months (January 2003 till October 2008), thus a redesign is unlikely, as the current design has been public for just two years.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...because a laptop and a phone are the same thing? :confused:

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have a feeling there are a great number of iPhone/iPad users who are new to this forum, who don't know much about computers, and who think the world should migrate to what they're familiar with. It's obvious to the rest of us that computers, smart phones and tablets are completely different animals, with completely different requirements.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple wouldn't redesign the MBP right now since there is no new hardware ready to put inside. They definitely will not redesign before Sandy Bridge or whatever next gen of Intel they use. Black MBP is extremely unlikely even then.

22. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

There won't be a redesign for a long time. Trust us on this. It's not happening.

23. KirkL macrumors 6502

They'll only do a minor speed bump so get one now if you need it, else just wait it out

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Laptops get redesigned infrequently, IMO the next redesign will utilize Liquidmetal
    I would love it if Apple would offer a matte black coated MBP (case still with aluminum)