New MacBook Pro - Black LCD Bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrewiski, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Andrewiski macrumors newbie

I have been a windows pc user forever since the 386 days. Anyways this is my first apple since the Apple II days. I bought the older mac Book pro and had it 2 days before Apple released the new MacBook Pro with the black trim around the LCD. So I took the old one back and got the new one. The new one is a 2.4 ghz with the 15.4 LCD. I have to say it hardware design is impressive but thats why I payed the extra $300 bucks. Anyways I spend most of time in XP and not Mac OS. This new Macbook has the same issue as my old macbook. If you boot into XP with out first booting OSX the Apple SMC device doesn't get inited and the fans don't come on. Now this is a huge problem if as no fans plus xp turns your macbook into a frying pan. I have tried a program call inputmapper to turn on the fans in XP and it works but it also seems to sometimes to lock up the machine mouse and all on bootup. I suspect its blocking the ACPI calls to the Apple SMC device causing a conflict with the windows ACPI driver.

I have to say the Macbook has just everything but yet with out a simple SMC fan control in XP's bootcamp it makes a great machine into a smoking piece of alluminum.

Changes I Like.
    Built in camera has a wider angle then earlier version so you can see more then just a close up of my face when setting at the keyboard.
    I haven't tested yet but the ability to use my Iphone headset and Mic
    The space between the keys instead of the beveled edges from the previous
    The battery meter lights are now on the side and not the bottom
    The mouse button is now built into the touch pad and not a seperate button.

My Macbook Pro wish list.

XP SMC Fan Support with Tempature Monitor
    Why no right mouse button even osx uses it so why not include it
    A delete key (not the backspace labeled as Delete)

Other then that I have to say the Apple hardware is far better then any other PC I have purchased. It small form factor and simplistic design.

Andy

2. Red-red macrumors 6502

3. tyler9xp macrumors newbie

4. hithere macrumors member

hithere

On my MBP if you press fn+delete you get a genuine equivalent of the "del" key on PC's.

Maybe it works on yours too.

5. Red-red macrumors 6502

It's a bit like dating Jessica Alba with no teeth.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

At least you can take Jessica to see a Dentist:D

7. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Or maybe you prefer her without the teeth. False teeth in public and no teeth at home.

:D

8. Red-red macrumors 6502

But at the end of the day you know your going to have to blend her food to keep her going.

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thats sick on many levels lol

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the computer!

Because is the best PC money can buy. ;)

She'll have a … in her mouth; she doesn't need teeth! Okay, I'm kidding; that's just cruel and terrible.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I've seen a lot of people on campus who have macs but simply use windows on them.

eeeks!! They wanted to be cool and own a mac but didn't want to use or give the mac OS X a chance.

I never understood this, and whilst I understand the phrase to each his own, and that some people require to run XP for certain applications, I just think it's a little poseurish.

I've never found something I had to do that I couldn't do in OS X. gaming is another story.

nuff said.

12. Jatku macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the right click action is a click with 2 or 3 fingers on the pad. You can also hold down the button next to the spacebar (or maybe the option button, can't remember) while clicking to right click.

13. Rilely macrumors member

When I first switched to Mac 2.5 years ago, I was intent on installing Windows on it and using the Mac OSX only to play around with once and awhile, nothing serious. Soon after my purchase, I found myself unable to buy a new Windows Professional and I began using OSX 100% of the time. I was nervous at first, but soon I realized how much easier it was to use. I also realized how great the OS was and I never lost any functionality. I was still able to access my Windows Office documents. I was still able to view photos and videos. I was able to play World of Warcraft, and I was able to do SO much more with iLife!

Moral of the story -- You may have it in your mind that you NEED Windows, but you don't. Microsoft has made it very easy to transition into a OSX exclusive environment that you really should have no problem. Just don't be scared and give it a shot!

14. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

15. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I switched laptops 7 months ago from a heavily used Thinkpad running a lean and mean Win2k to a MBP, intending to add XP to my MBP. I kept putting it off as I could manage without doing it, finding better substitutes for most of my old apps for Win. I have a desktop Mac at home, but needed my laptop for work and portability. Now... I'm just going to forgo installing Windows on my MBP, because I really don't want to sacrifice all the space it would require, and to be honest, I really don't even want to have to look at it if I can avoid it. There are only two web-based job-related fuctions that require XP and IE, but I just jump on an office computer to deal with that, and both websites will be Mac compatible by the end of the year anyway... so - so long Windows, forever. :D It was an education getting to know you, but I'll not miss you.

PS: I do miss Picasa, which for some reason google hasn't made a Mac version of. I was really comfortable with using it to manage my photos, and still find it more intuitive than iPhoto - but I can live without it. Not worth installing Windows on my Mac just to run it. It's amazing how free and clean everything feels compared to all the chaos of .dll files scattered all over my old Windows laptop.

16. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Wow, guys.

Way to go on making my night just a bit more enjoyable! :)

17. Andrewiski thread starter macrumors newbie

Why XP? Becasue my life depends on it!

I am a software developer primarly developing Windows Apps using .net 3.5. I know its hard to belive but for some reason Visual Studio 2008 will not install on OSX. It also seems to be lacking .net framework support so very hard to debug my work.

So no windows means no job, no job means no money, no money how can i afford the extra $300 bucks for this Macbook Pro vs it Dell counterpart.

I only bought a Apple because in order to develop Iphone apps you have to use OS X. Yes you can hacintosh it but the Macbook Pro hardware is truly better then most pc hardware and its much easier with a legit OSX copy. The hardware is thinner lighter and has better features then the equivalent PC. The battery life is better. As far as OS X I can't realy compare it to XP because I only use it to init the SMC micros so the fans work then boot into XP. Once I have started coding the iPhone app I am sure I will have little more experince.

Yes fn + Delete is the equivment Delete on a PC.

Yes Two fingers on the touch pad plus click is same as PC Right Click.

The Iphone Mic Headset seems to work in OSX but I do not see any support by the Realtek driver in XP. So no way to switch the mic from the built in to the headphone mic or at least I haven't been able to find it.

Really the only show stopper is the lack of SMC init in XP's boot camp. Its to bad becasue this is truly a very nice hardware design. I have done a little digging and it looks like I can access the smc using memory address 0x300 but like Inputmapper run the risk of locking up the PC if I lock the ACPI driver. I do not have time at the moment to explore the windows Apple SMC Device driver to see if I can find an interfaces.

My advice to anyone bootcamping into XP is leave OSX as you boot partion becase a wake on lan from a hibernate when you are not around will turn your MacBook into a heater that may start to smoke.

Andy

18. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Jessica Alba w/no teeth is awesome on many levels.

IMHO, a better analogy for the black bezel would be a bald Jessica Alba .

19. magallanes macrumors regular

Input Remapper +Core Temp
    If you want to maximize your productivity then you always can use an over 3 button + scroll. Also the latest macbookpro bring a button less touchpad (sound pretty annoying to use).
    with a bit of practice you will find seasoned with it,anyways it's a bit natural to think :FN + BACKSPACE = DELETE, but it's tricky to find INSERT and other missing keys.
    So damn sick. :D
    How old is Jessica Alba?, in Sin City she looks even younger than Dark Angel. :confused:

20. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

And you ruined my morning...