New Macbook Pro booting slower than my previous model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by electroninja, Aug 17, 2011.

1. electroninja macrumors newbie

Hi I just got hold of a mid-2010 MBP 2.4gHz I5, an upgrade from my 2.33 c2duo model, essentially I switched the Hard drives out putting my old system into the new machine, everything boots fine and it runs well, however my old machine used to boot up in around 22 seconds, (yes I used to time it!) now with the exact same system in my new machine it takes around 1m 40secs to boot, this obviously is counter intuitive and I wondered if there was something obvious I've missed...?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Well straight swapping the HD might not have been the best idea. A clean install and a restore from time machine would probably have been better.

Also, maybe some of your preferences have changed, make sure you have selected your startup disk.

In the end, why bother shut down the machine at all? Mine goes for weeks at a time without a reboot, and it's usually due to an update or needing bootcamp.

Startup time is in no way shape or form a measure of a computer's performance. Supercomputers take quite some time to start up and shut down, yet they have over 9000 processor cores and terabytes of RAM.

3. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i have 2011 i5 MBP 13" base upgraded the RAM to 8GB moments XT and I'm getting 20secs. i start clocking when the gray screen appears.

4. electroninja thread starter macrumors newbie

Very nice, looks like I was doing well to get 22 secs out of my core2duo...going to try and do the clean install and see if it improves, I hope so, I really expected this machine to smoke my older model...