Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hello!

Im sure this sounds totally ridiculous but, Ive just taken delivery of a new MacBook Pro non touch bar, Im made up with it and its an amazing machine compared to the 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro it has replaced!

Anyway, point of the thread was anyone else a little disappointed with the quality of the box it came in? Ive just boxed up my old one for sale and I can't believe the difference.

Its like the graphics on the new box aren't even stuck properly and it all feels a rubbish. I remember the unboxing was all part of the experience, now Im not so sure! I don't know if Apple are trying to save money or what but it feels totally flimsy! The old one even has a sponge lining!

Anyway, kudos if you have read this far. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks! :)

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I... don't even remotely get it. First off, I'd be 100% okay with a plain cardboard box with black ink only, as long as it did a good job of holding the machine. Second, no, I have no idea what you're talking about. The graphics are PRINTED on the box. They are not "stuck" at all, properly or improperly. They're PRINTED. They look fine. The box is pretty nice.

Reactions: Audit13

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you're cynical, it's cost saving.

If you're optimistic, it's environmentally friendly.

I think it's both, but the packaging is pretty resource efficient and uses 38% recycled content.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 15.52.10.png

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I... don't even remotely get it. First off, I'd be 100% okay with a plain cardboard box with black ink only, as long as it did a good job of holding the machine. Second, no, I have no idea what you're talking about. The graphics are PRINTED on the box. They are not "stuck" at all, properly or improperly. They're PRINTED. They look fine. The box is pretty nice.

The graphics are actually printed on paper which is then stuck onto the card, Ive got a picture somewhere, will try and dig it out!
[doublepost=1480521318][/doublepost]
If you're cynical, it's cost saving.

If you're optimistic, it's environmentally friendly.

I think it's both, but the packaging is pretty resource efficient and uses 38% recycled content.

View attachment 675416

But I'd still like a foam lining ;)

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The graphics are actually printed on paper which is then stuck onto the card, Ive got a picture somewhere, will try and dig it out!

There is some sort of lining.

The sponge they used to put in was terrible: the material itself was non-recyclable, and the fact it was glued to the inside of the box rendered the whole cardboard lid non-recyclable.

Reactions: xmonkey and MrJM

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

This is how Apple have been doing the packaging for a while now. The iPhones, iPads etc are the same. Basically its a box made of recycled material which is of insufficient quality to print directly on, so to get the nice clean and uniform finish they wrap it in a printed sheet. Allows then to use more recycled material etc. Saves money and materials.

Reactions: MrJM

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
If the paper isn't aligned right or whatever, that's probably a one-off manufacturing defect, it's fine on the two boxes I've seen so far.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Its just the direction all packaging goes. It sucks a bit, I am a total sucker for good packaging, but I do not want to pay more for my electronics because of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.