New MacBook Pro Bulge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msizzle64, Nov 1, 2008.

1. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

I bought my new macbook pro 10/19 and so far i love it. but about a week later, i turned on my desk light and noticed that the top bottom right corner has some kind of streak. like the aluminum has been rubbed and it feels completely flush with the rest of the top. it can only be seen if a bright light is coming from the left. so i looked closer and the right side towards the front has a bulge. and the battery door doesn't completely shut because of that. i don't believe i did it because the computer hasn't been out of the house and i haven't dropped it. I'm going to the apple store tomorrow and its my 14th day of owning it. do you think i'll be able to exchange it or at least have it sent in so the top case can be replaced. or do i have to live with it?

its hard to see the bulge on thee 3rd pic, but its there

Attached Files:

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Yes indeed, you qualify for the 14 day return policy. Be confident that you want a replacement though…

3. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

So your laptop was just sitting on your desk, and one day suddenly this streak appeared for no reason at all? Nothing contacted it, nothing rubbed it? That's the strangest thing I've heard, but I guess anything's possible. Will the streak wipe off with a damp microcloth?

Maybe you can take a better shot of the bulge, use the macro setting on your camera. Anyway, good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

5. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

Well, i never noticed it because its only visible when i bright light is shining on it. when there is no bright light, its not noticeable at all, and my arm is always over it when i'm typing. when i noticed the streak and started examining it, then i noticed the bulge on the side. i've tried wiping it off with iKlear and everything, but it doesn't go away.

6. cmatt macrumors member

phone up for a replacement mate... that finish/bulge is unacceptable imho.

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Can you feel it (elevated or sunken) or is it just a visual mark?

8. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

I have a similar thing right above my f3 and f4 keys... again I noticed it when i got it but chalked it up to a small imperfection on the contruction process... I am happy with the fact that my lcd is clean with no stuck or dead pixels, so I thought I would just ignore this. It has a slight bulge to it as well. I suspect this is just a machining imperfection...

On a side note, I do have a bit of dust creeping in under the lcd... again, very slight... gonna leave it for now... but this is rediculous... 3k and settling for dust for fear of replacement being worse... hahaha

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it s a bulge then it would be noticeable even with your arms over it, or one would assume. There'd be a difference in the overall smoothness of the area, ergo bulge. If it's a defect in the anodized aluminum then it's not a bulge, rather than a defect in the finish process. Either way I'd return it.

10. blurfonz macrumors regular

11. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

no, you didn't understand me. the streak is on the top case and it is flush with the rest of the case. you can't feel it. but on the side is a bulge.

Attached Files:

12. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

visual mark, but the side has an elevated bulge, look at pic above ^

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Does it affect anything like the lid laying flat or make the computer wobble?
    If its just a minor visual imperfection and everything else is fine I'd keep it. If it leaves a noticeable gap somewhere I'd return it. Thats just me.

14. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Maybe flip the computer over, take the battery out and see if you can see a dent from the inside?

15. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well, i just got back from the apple store and they said that it can be replaced because they said that that couldn't happen in manufacturing and somehow i did it. the only thing i could do is pay the restocking fee and get another one. i really pissed. now im calling apple care to see what they can do.

16. tangfj macrumors member

I have the same problem!

Hi msizzle. I have the exact same problem as you. Did you ever get it resolved by Apple?

17. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

well, when i went to the store on sunday, they said they weren't going to cover it, but then i called apple care and they set me up an appointment on tuesday at the store i purchased it at And they are going to talk to the person I was talking to at apple care to confirm if it was a manufacturing defect or not.

18. blurfonz macrumors regular

Update us !

19. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

Ok, well I went to the store where I purchased it at in Northridge 10 mi. away from the store I went to on Sunday. So I told them the problem, they looked at it and within 5 minutes, they got me a replacement. Wow. I don't know why the other store gave me such a hassle. I'm in the car and I hope when I get home I don't find another problem.

20. tangfj macrumors member

thanks for sharing your experience! would you happen to have a case # or something that the rest of us can reference when we go into an apple store to meet with the mac geniuses? i'm planning on getting out to an apple store this friday so hopefully i'll have the same luck you did in getting a replacement! THANKS!

21. msizzle64 thread starter macrumors 6502

msizzle64

you should just show them this thread. i showed the geniuses the pics on this thread from my iPhone and other related threads.

22. tangfj macrumors member

Well I went to the Chicago store downtown and the genius I spoke to says that it appears to be external damage (i.e.- he thinks I dropped it or damaged it myself). He did offer to have it repaired for $300 but for a $2000 laptop already I don't think I should have to pay another $300 for a manufacturing defect!!! :mad:

23. JayKay321 macrumors member

Yeah i was going to say to try a different store. I've found in my experience that it all really depends on the person you get--some are cool, and some are just plain d**ks.

Since you live in LA, next time I would suggest either the Grove, Beverly Center, or Century City location. They seem to be nicer at stores in the affluent areas. Sad, but true.