New MacBook Pro But Major Migration Issues!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Newb!!, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Newb!! macrumors newbie

having major migration issues with my new macbook pro.

when i first started up my new macbook pro i declined the migration assistant option to match with my old iMac g5 as i didn't have a firewire cable handy ..

today, i brought home my new firewire cable and followed the instructions from migration assistant to take my old music, documents, photos and movies from my G5 to my new macbook.

Instead after an hour or so of transfers .. instead of all my music being in itunes / settings as i had them previously, etc, on my new macbook, i find they are actually located in a new user folder on my desktop (under the name of my G5 harddrive).. pretty annoying. Worse still ... when i try to go into this harddrive, it tells me i'm not permissioned to view any of the contents. Disaster.

So naturally, first port of call is the apple website.. no real help. Next port of call is here. on another thread the suggestion was for me to reinsert my leopard dvd and reinstall from scratch ... where if i did the startup migration it would auto update everything into one username instead of a seperate one on my desktop. also i wouldn't have the same permission issues as a result.

instead after i installed my leopard os x again i was presented with a third user (my original, my one which i migrated from my g5, and the newly installed one). ARGHH! all i want is a fresh edition of leopard, just like when i started up the computer the first time so that i can do an easy transfer over... instead i'm stuck with three users installed, none of which i want and none of my data transferred.

can you pls help before my new macbook goes flying ... thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just reinstall from your OS X DVD. Make sure to erase the hard drive first from Disk Utility since Snow Leopard doesn't have the Erase and Install option like previous versions did.

Once the OS is back, just copy all of your files manually from the G5 to the MacBook using the network, target disk mode, etc. Since the G5 and MacBook use different processors, it would be best to start fresh and reinstall all apps manually (esp since some may not even run on your MacBook).

3. Newb!! thread starter macrumors newbie

hey dacreativeguy .. you're precisely the reason why this forum is such a valuable place .. u just spared my new macbook pro a precipitous 40storey fall from my window.. all worked swell. appreciate the insight.