new Macbook Pro -- can't find FCE serial

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twalker294, Dec 26, 2010.

1. twalker294 macrumors newbie

My 2006 iMac died a couple of months ago and I got a 13" MBP for Christmas. Yesterday I was working on installing everything on it and started to install FCE, which yes I did buy perfectly legally ;-)

Anyway I seem to have misplaced the booklet with the serial number on it so I can't complete the install. If I call Apple support will they be able to give me another serial? I'd hate to think I've wasted $200 just because I lost a $.50 booklet that came with it. I have a full backup of my iMac on an external drive so I don't know if maybe there is a library file or something that I could use to recover my password? I just thought I'd pose the question here before calling them because I'm sure their hold times are crazy this time of year.

Thanks
    Todd

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I really doubt they'll just give you another serial.

3. twalker294 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm afraid of. Surely though there is a way to prove to them somehow that I purchased it legally and have a right to use it. I can get on iChat with them and hold up the box and DVD if they want me to ;-)

I would think that they have some system in place for this. Surely I'm not the first person to be in this situation.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

You should (hopefully) have a receipt of your original purchase of FC. If you do, call them up and tell them the receipt number and maybe they can work something out.

5. twalker294 thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife just found the email receipt from where she bought it for me and it has the order number attached so hopefully I can get it sorted out. Thanks!

Todd

6. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...it's short for "Final Cut Express" - the "lite" version of Apple's video editing program....oh yeah!

8. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

OK, so at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Express I did see this quote:

Final Cut Express is a non-linear video editing application created by Apple Inc. It is the consumer version of Final Cut Pro and is designed for advanced editing of digital video as well as high-definition video, which is used by many amateur and professional videographers. Final Cut Express is considered a "step" above iMovie in terms of capabilities, but a "step" underneath Final Cut Pro and its suite of applications.

I have glossed over the article as a whole; having said that, I'm a newbie to iMovie. I _HAD_ been using the '08 version to import my Hi8 videotapes, I now have the '11 version. (See other topic re my desire to get the '06 version of iMovie.) The phrases used in the wikipedia article are almost meaningless to me. I can well imagine that I don't need Final Cut Pro, but...

How does this newbie judge if iMovie '11 is good enough, or if I will be needing Final Cut Express?

9. twalker294 thread starter macrumors newbie

Start with iMovie. From what I understand the '11 version is quite good (I've not played with it yet.) It took me about 2 years of pretty heavy iMovie use with iMovie HD to get to the point that I felt limited by its capabilities and felt the need to move up to Final Cut Express.

10. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

Am I correct to say that when one says "iMovie HD", that you are specifically referring to "iMovie '06", and NOT any other version?

If yes, then to rephrase a question I've posted in another forum {See: "iMovie '06 : Where, how to get?"}...

How would you recommend I acquire a copy these days?

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Legally, you can't (without buying a iLife '06 disc).

12. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

RJS:

Do you know about the "iMovie HD" versus "iMovie '06" question?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iMovie HD is iMovie '06

14. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

OK then, so the _real_ unanswered question then is...

Does iMovie '06 / iMovie HD contain any features, significant or insignificant that are NOT in iMovie '11?

I heard yes, but without any explanation of what or importance thereof.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I haven't used '11, but no version since HD has supported plugins - which is what really caused all the uproar.

iMovie HD was like a FCE lite, but iMovie '08 moved iMovie into a more consumer-oriented direction, rather than closer to FCE. This move upset a lot of people, who were expecting to get more like FCE, without paying for it.

16. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

Hmmm...

OK then, given that both of our Intel minis run Snow Leopard, and my newbie status to iMovie '11 (briefly also with '08), would you suggest I just forget about even trying to get a copy of '06?

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes.

18. twalker294 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I'm posting my findings because it might come in handy for someone else in the same boat. I figured Apple would have an elegant and painless solution and they do.

I talked to support this morning and he pointed me to this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1861

There is a form that you fill out there if you need a replacement serial and the forms are different depending on where you purchased from. Luckily my wife ordered it from Apple online so I was able to give them my order number. I just got an email that my request was received and I'll have my serial in 24-48 hours.

Can't ask for more than that :)

Todd