New Macbook pro capabilities

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Paul2k12, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Paul2k12 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently own a Canon HF100 Camcorder and I use my current windows PC to edit the footage. I have the Adobe Production Suite CS5.5 and it runs adequately.

For Xmas I will be getting a Macbook Pro - most probably the base 15" version, I hope to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and purchase an external hard drive as I will be working away in Finland next year. I am looking to be able to transfer my adobe software over to the Mac and edit video using the laptop.

My current windows PC is pretty old and consists of an Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 and 4GB Ram. Am I correct in thinking the macbook will run the software and be able to handle HD footage with ease? For reference this pc scores 4175 and I know the macbook scores about 9000 but want to know what the actual real world difference would be.

Thanks for peoples input :)

2. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

The MacBook Pro should be fine for you, however, talk to customer support about that WIN software. http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

3. Paul2k12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

Yes I will be looking at swapping the license for the Adobe Products, do you have any idea on how long this will take?

Also would I be able to get away with just 4GB of RAM or would you suggest 8GB really is a minimum?

Thanks

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

A year and a half ago I moved from a PC to Mac and I had to get a new license for Photoshop. I called them and it took about a week and about $5. The time and cost was due to Adobe giving me the new version on disc and charging me for the shipping cost. That might have changed and they may be able to let you do this via a download. Go to their website and/or call them for how they do it these days.

As for RAM, you need 8GB, period. I have 8GB on mine and have it set to allocate 70% of the RAM for photoshop and when I do heavy stuff it uses it all up. RAM is very cheap these days unless you buy it from Apple - then it will cost at least 3x more. Changing RAM yourself is easy, about 10 minutes, and will not harm warranty. Also, you might consider upgrading from the stock hard drive to a bigger, faster drive like what I use - see signature. Changing the hard drive does not violate warranty either and takes about 20 minutes or so. Don't buy a hard drive from Apple, get your own and save money and then use the original drive for a backup.

Also, the new MBP's can handle 16GB ram but currently they that is expensive, about $600 ($1,600 last year). So in a year from now as prices drop you might see the need to upgrade further. I have a 2010 base MBP and I did all the upgrades mentioned above. The current 15" 2011 base models are 2x faster, have 2x bigger graphics card (important for video work) and can take 2x more ram and have a geek score slightly above 10,000. These are incredible machines and I may upgrade myself with a Black Friday deal on amazon in a few weeks.