New Macbook Pro case redesign discussion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waywardsage, Feb 20, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Its funny to read all of the theories on why there will be a case redesign are how there won't. One thing I'd like to bring up to everyone:

If a larget multi-touch trackpad is intergrated, along with a magnetic latch and the inevitble new (ugly) black keyboard design, doesn't that constitute a case redesign? The case will have to be TECHNICALLY altered to fit the large trackpad and new keyboard.

So, if any of these happen, Apple technically redesigned the case for the macbook pro!

Argue away!

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

hmmm, TECHNICALLY your right, but i think we are talking about laptop closed, general look... like iBook vs. MacBook!

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

We have basically been using the same case for 5 years. It is about time that we have some sort of major change. I'd like to see them make the case smaller, return the ports to the back, get rid of the dropped screen (so we can return to having 165 degrees of hinge), and I'd like to see DMS-59 added to allow for dual dual-link DVI systems and allow for two 30" screens so that it can be a true desktop replacement. I'd also like to see some more VRAM and wireless USB, and of course we will be getting Bluetooth 2.1.

TEG

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

True.

ppl want a different design thats inspired by the current MBP and MBA so other will know its a new MBP that cant be mistaken for an old one. Personally i dont think that will happen until Macworld '09. maybe just a slight redesign like the OP said.

5. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Personally, I like the current look of the Macbook Pro. The only things I would change would be to add a magnetic latch and upgrade the touchpad to MBA-style multi-touch. Maybe add keyboard buttons for Rewind, Pause/Play, and FF like on the current Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I think the black keyboard looks ugly in comparison to the current design.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

I really don't want a case redesign. I love the way it is, true and tested.

I don't really understand the point of a 165 degree hinge, but if they can incorporate it in the current design then why not?

Ports in the back? No no no! I find it such a hassle when using an iMac, or whatever has ports in the back. If they did such a thing I can see my self having to constantly rotate the laptop every time I wanted to plug something in.

I don't know...I'm just not a fan of change I guess. I love the current design so I don't want it to be messed with. The only thing I wouldn't mind is a larger/smarter track pad. Not a fan of the macbook keyboard, or the magnetic latch so don't want to see either. Would it stop me from buying a new MBP? No...but it'll take me time to get used to it.

7. pdechavez macrumors regular

i believe the current design is what makes the macbook pro look professional. If they update the keyboard into black and seperate the keys like the MBAs, It's gonna look casual and unprofessional. Plus the keys being pressed on the current MBP feel much more comfy than the MBs and MBAs

This is all my personal opinion

8. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Or, you could close the lid, and plug in whatever...then open the lid back up.

9. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I like the current design, but depending on what the redesign looked like, I might be inclined to like that.

10. omore1234 macrumors member

Apple TOTALLY needs to redesign this laptop. Come on, 5 years now. I really think it looks old and they need to press towards a slimmer product. I see that people like the current design, but wouldn't you like an updated case? (not just a latch, but a new outer case?)

11. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Lets start seeing those mock ups photoshop users!!!

12. omore1234 macrumors member

13. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

The hinge design doesn't facilitate ports in the back. The hinge design is also unlikely to change.

14. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

The keyboard may look ugly, but it is the best for typing on. Love it.

15. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

16. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yea then sit with a **** ton of cords poking into your knees. people LOVE that. i think apple knows what they are doing when they designed the ports on the side. they do things for a reason!

17. stevegmu macrumors regular

I like this mock-up-

Attached Files:

18. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Clean and still classic. I have seen this before and love the overall look.

19. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i like it to, but there are a good number of image flaws. Bezel is WAY to wide. What is this the 16.4 inch MBP and one extra wide speaker. I dont know about you all but i like my sound balanced out... and those are not standard port.

im just being picky. i do love the design of that.

20. omore1234 macrumors member

I LOVE This mock-up. Powerful and going towards the MBA thinlyness

21. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Wow. That is a clean look. I can see that coming in a couple of years once the MBA technology trickles to the MBP!

22. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Some quick thoughts:

1. It WON'T be thinner (at least not substantially). Compare the MBP to its competition - it's already thin and can't get thinner due to its components (namely drives). It'll likely be the same as it is now.

2. I DOUBT it will have a magnetic latch. The 15" and 17" screens are bigger, so you'll need something that a) is strong enough to keep it closed (and not accidentally open), and b) weak enough to not warp the screen when opening. We all know the warped edge problems the MBP has/had. Still, it could be possible, but we're only seeing it on 13" laptops right now.

3. The "separated keys" keyboard will probably happen. It's on all of Apple's lineup right now, including the desktops. Personally, I think they're looking outdated already, particularly since other vendors are copying the design.

4. The MBP "look" really emphasizes Apple's branding. I'm thinking it probably won't change for quite some time - if so, it'll be only subtle.

23. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

who needs a hinge that can go back that far?? I do not think Apple will ever do away with the dropped screen hinge.

24. omore1234 macrumors member

agreed

25. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

why would you want the ports in teh back. talk about inaccessible