New MacBook Pro Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Croatian, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Croatian macrumors 6502

has anyone noticed if you go to apple store and on left hand side you select shop for mac, then u select notebook cases, and u select 15 macbook pro (so it filters out only 15 macbook pro cases) it comes back with no items found

whats up with that, there are no cases for the new 15 macbook pro or something

2. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

The new one is physically bigger than the old 15". Enough that the cases don't fit. Welcome to the world of new apple products and waiting for the aftermarket to catch up. There aren't even announcements for most of the case manufacturers launching one yet.

You think apple would have someone in house at least do a neoprene case or something.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know Apple probably had some legitimate reason for making the new MBP slightly bigger than the old, but I can't help but wonder if it's not partially to drive a whole new flood of sales for new cases, rather than just using the ones we already have. I love my booq Vyper M2 sleeve, but it fits so perfectly with my MBP, I know the new one wouldn't fit. So it's a waiting game until the aftermarket catches up. Think how many case options we'd have... and how low the prices would be... if notebooks came in a limited number of dimensions.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I doubt that true on cases, but clearly true with the video adapters. I think the case is wider on the new model to support the screen. The screen size remains 15.4 but it has a wider bezel so the case needs to be wider to support it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's that wide bezel that detracts from the appearance, in my opinion. I don't know whey they had to make it so wide, or black. I'll just wait for the Nehalem and hope there's more options by then.

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I think they gave it a bigger footprint so that they could shave 0.1" off the thickness and then say, "thinner than ever!". They're certainly not advertising that it's also bigger and heavier than ever.

7. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Incipio and Booq both have cases compatible with the new MBP as of 10/19.

8. Nate025 macrumors regular

Iskin also states their sleeve is compatible with late 2008 models. The only problem I see is that those cases were originally designed to be snug with the old versions. I wonder how the difference in size, however small, will affect the fit.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Incase also put up a news article on their site stating that everything of theirs except for the hardshell case would work with the new notebooks.

10. mattrud macrumors member

just bought a brenthaven metrolite ii case.

i made sure the new mbp's fit the case in the store.

it's a very small difference in size. it's like .2'' in both depth and length.

11. jTreu macrumors 6502

I'm sure more and more will begin showing up in the next 2 weeks.

12. sk47 macrumors member

13. Nate025 macrumors regular

Here's the keyboard cover I ordered. http://www.iskin.com/product_kbrd_air.html They say it's compatible with the new MBP.

I'll post a review when I get it, unless someone already has it..?

14. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I always wanted one of those iSkin Soho's for my 17" and they never made it. I want to push the button on the 15" one that says it works with the new Macbook Pro but those dimensions just don't add up. The interior dimensions are smaller than the current MBP.

What to do, what to do?

15. cg165 macrumors regular

The neoprene sleeves for the old 15" mbp fit the new one :)

16. therapistfinder macrumors member

I second that. Just bought a new MBP with the incase sleeve. It's a tight fit at the sides (considering that the new one is 0.25 in wider) but all in all it's not so bad.

17. sk47 macrumors member

Please do... keyboard protection from my greasy fingers and any accidental spills is the most important for me.