New MacBook Pro Clicking / Creaking Noises :S

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g33, Oct 11, 2010.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Ive just got myself a new MBP 15 incher (i7, Hi Res Anti Glare, 500GB 5400rpm for those who are interested :) Likely to get SSD if i can live with using a Mac!)

Anyhow it hasnt all been plain sailing. This already has been my second one after the first one that I had collected from the Apple Store (sealed as you would expect) didnt work out of the box, but also had scratches and marks on the back and palm areas.

Having used PCs all my life I really like how Mac OS has trackpad gestures which really speeds up navigating around the computer so defintely good news there, also the OS uses a lot less resources than Windows 7 and is a lot more efficient on battery. Im defintely converted but its a shame i still need to use windows most of the time for the applications. Why does Apple give such low spec for the money!:mad:

I also really like the solid feel of the MBP however as i sit at a table typing this my MBP is making metallic clicking noises every so often. If i choose to use it on my lap and move slightly i hear more clicking or creaking sounds in the same way that if i were to pick it up etc. Does everyone elses do this???

2. poose22 macrumors member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont think its the sudden motion sensor as that sounds like a few successive clunks. the sounds im hearing without moving the laptop (sat on the table) are short metallic clicking sounds. I hear more of them should i decide to move the laptop.

I did a search and found one thread from February saying its the casing? Mines doing it all the time and is really infuriating when im typing away in a quiet room! I dont have a set of screwdrivers with me so cant investigate the problem :/ its coming from all over the case though! .....*click, click, creak, dink dink* noises

5. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

are the noises easy to hear? if you can only hear them in a quiet room its probbly just the HDD makign the sounds... as you probably know the HDD has moving parts which obviously make sounds, they can be heard in a quiet room.

6. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

i know what hard disks sound like :p Thanks though. The room is quiet but not dead silent. i can hear it over conversation and even over a video playing on the laptop itself. i have another computer (desktop) with admittedly large fans running in the room and can hear it over that also.

im pretty adamant its the laptop case itself. just wondered if any1 else is experiencing this. i m not too lucky with apple products. every item ive owned ive had to send it for repair or replacement at least once during its first year. as far as this MBP goes, the first hour :p. i know this is just minor and wont affect the usuablity but its kinda annoying....

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

can you upload a video recording the sound? it would probably help.

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

My MBP makes a noise from the left hand side. It's very quiet but can hear it if I lift the machine up to my ear. It's almost like a hard-drive noise but I've resigned to the fact that it's the processor or RAM or something. The noise stops when I hold down the mouse button.

Is yours similar?

9. daigoro macrumors newbie

10. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502