New macbook pro confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peejack, Feb 19, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I see there are so many news thread about the long awaited now macbook pros and all the dates seem to have passed now and still nothing?

Is there anymore speculation as to when they are going to be available as im looking to get a new one pretty soon.

Thanks

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

every tuesday that passes without an update increases the likelihood that they'll be released the following tuesday. Intel's new chips are ready - Apple just needs to figure out when a convenient time for them is to pop them in

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I reckon they'll appear around the end of April or mid May...
    Why? Cause that'll be approximately one year, since they were updated.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Poor logic - Apple rarely waits a year to update their computers. Take a look at the macrumors buyers guide for historical evidence.

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

on top of this being statistically correct, I have a friend that works for apple that says AVG shelf life for MPB is 9 months.

7. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

it truly depends.... if you need a mac to do work from now till the time (they haven't announced) a new one, then buy it now...
    If your making it day to day without it now, whats another month or two... possibly even three to wait for a new one? its really all up for what you need it for.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah - i'm just using a work PC right now until the new macbook pro comes out. I eBay'd my old macbook in anticipation so i'm just playing the monday night waiting game until i can buy it haha. While sooner than later would be great, i'm in no real rush...

9. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

What is everyone waiting for?

New specs? Touchpad?

It seems that the wait saddens and angers people more than the joy the new lineup brings.....

I am personally tired of waiting and will order a MBP today. :D

10. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

haha thats great, because literally thats exactly what I did... sold my old macbook to a friend, using 2 of my work -windows- laptops waiting for the new one... (I never use my desktop anymore)
    as much as I reallllly hate using this day to day monogamous window task w/o the .mac im paying for I can wait till the new MBP's came out...

I actually plan on waiting a week or two after they come out too, just in case they decide to do a quick fix or a price drop as well... but its all good, im in no rush.

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

dude just search the forums for this topic haha......it's a laundry list

12. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

A laundry list of mostly pipe dreams...perhaps

DUDE

13. canisreevus macrumors member

Dell has already started updating their notebooks to Penryn. I'd expect that Apple would do the same soon.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9873040-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Alienware has already started putting 512mb cards into their 15" laptops, too. They are nicely priced, too. (thought I wouldn't get one)

14. Zeos macrumors 6502

Chances are the updates will be minor and we'll all be kicking oursleves for waiting. If you really want a cool, new, rejuvenated MBP, you may need to wait a good while longer, like 2009.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Even if the ONLY thing Apple puts in the new MBPs are Penryn chips, I won't kick myself... anything else is gravy!

16. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

That is what I am thinking......:apple:

17. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

If I buy one today, and a new one comes out next week...what will Apple do for me? Issue a credit, exchange, tell me to go buy a Dell?

18. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

In summation:

If you want an extremely nice computer, and you won't cry yourself to sleep at night if they release one the week after that has an updated trackpad...get a Macbook Pro NOW. You won't find a better computer out there.

Once my tax returns come, I am gonna buy a new MBP, even if the updated ones aren't out yet.

19. Zeos macrumors 6502

You can return it within 14 days, pay a 15% restocking fee, and then buy the new MBP.

20. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I called Apple and was informed something much different. And their policy is 10%, not 15%, unless you shop at Best Buy. :mad:

21. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

blue-ray player

i 've been reading a lot of speculated improvement on the new MBP like the trackpad, etc but i think a blue-ray player is inevitable.. most of the PCs on the price range of the MBP are including this player.:)

22. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

exactly, its the point of buying a obsolete chip right when there working on releasing one right now.

It'll suck if thats all they do, but at least it wont be "old school" chip. trying to win the up-to-date hardware is like trying to have a new model of your car every year.