New MacBook Pro darker screen than last revision.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
I was wondering if I have a defective screen or this model is supposed to be darker. I have a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (the last revision) and the new 2.4Ghz i5 MacBook Pro which I just bought today.

I noticed the i5 screen is much dimmer, it is the same manufacturer but the model is 9CA4. The Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro model is 9CA3.

Are the 9CA4 models supposed to be darker or do I have a defective screen> I wanna know so I can go and exchange it.

Thanks

choco

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
yeah i just bought a 2.4 GHz mbp today and have noticed it slightly darker than my previous laptop.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Prob a stupid question, but isn't it just a brightness setting diff?

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Wow! The exact same thing happened when the last rev MBPs were released (at least the machines at the Apple Store). Wound up being a bum software preload from Apple. You might try a clean install from the recovery disks as a last resort.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
It's a feature: New! Darker blacks.
Darker, deeper blacks are actually something to tout in display technology, both in TVs and computer displays. You don't want bleeding or backlighting to affect your blacks. But if the overall display is generally darker, then that's a different story obviously.

Check out Pioneer Kuro displays to see what I'm talking about. They are among the best displays for the deepest blacks in the industry.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors/Enhanced+Content/Televisions

hcmitchellr

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Is your old a florescent or another LED?

My old is florescent and is way darker ( as expected). I have the brightness turned up on my new Mac 4 bars from the top. That is as bright as I can go without squinting.

Hazel

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
SF Bay Area
Is your old a florescent or another LED?

My old is florescent and is way darker ( as expected). I have the brightness turned up on my new Mac 4 bars from the top. That is as bright as I can go without squinting.
OP mentioned he has the last revision 2.53 C2D, which had LED lighting. nothing should have changed. I agree with other posters above that photos would be helpful, since I'm also in the market for one of these, and this concerns me..

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
But all the old ones are not. The last generation had LED, but my old is before that and is Florescent.
Again, as I mentioned, last revision. The revision before the one released today.

I will try to post some pictures, although I am not sure if it will be visible. Playing a movie, I noticed better dark levels on the 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. The new i5 had a darker screen as I mentioned which caused some dark scenes not to display as much details as the C2D MBP.

I am extremely upset about this, although it is not major, the screen is the most important feature in a computer (to my needs), even more than the processor itself.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
To be sure you don't have a defective one, perhaps you could drive out to a store to compare your new one to the new ones on display.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Darker, deeper blacks are actually something to tout in display technology, both in TVs and computer displays. You don't want bleeding or backlighting to affect your blacks. But if the overall display is generally darker, then that's a different story obviously.

Check out Pioneer Kuro displays to see what I'm talking about. They are among the best displays for the deepest blacks in the industry.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors/Enhanced+Content/Televisions
I know - I own a 5080 Kuro and appreciate dark, inky blacks. But not if they come at the expense of muted brightness (i.e., good black levels because of a high quality panel vs. good black levels as a result of a dim backlighting system).

On a related note, I went through 4 MBPs trying to find a panel without excessive bleeding, poor black levels, or dead/stuck pixels and was unsuccesful. The Apple panel lottery can be be very annoying.