New Macbook Pro Data Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mindlogo, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mindlogo macrumors newbie

I am purchasing a new Macbook Pro this evening. What is the easiest way to transfer all of my data from a Windows based PC?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Best way is to share the Windows data on a network, then on the Mac drag the shared drive to some folder on the Mac. But some people have trouble setting up file sharing. If this is you then put your old Windows disk inside a USB or Firewire enclosure then plug that into ther Mac then proceed as above and drag and drop the data into some folder on the Mac.

You may as well get the enclosure as you will need an external drive for backuips. But AFTER you have transfered the data and AFTER you do your first backup do a second backup and then reformat the external drive as HFS+ and then it will be fully usable with your Mac.

But if all you need is the data a network connection is very fast and zero cost

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This was my initial thought. Having tried to set up a cabled network sharing folders between OS X and Windows, it would have been quick to use the 1TB hard drive I had laying around.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member