New Macbook Pro, Downgrading to SnoLeo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpiderDude, Feb 6, 2012.

1. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Hi guys, I'm buying a new 15 MBP, and I'm seriously considering immediately Downgrading to SnoLeo.
    I really don't like Mission Control that much, I'm really into Spaces and 4 Finger Swipe.

What do you think that I'l mainly be missing if I stick with SnoLeo?

(one more thing, I'm not an old man afraid of change, I'm 23 but I just really like some of the SL features that Lion killed :p)

Toodles

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you are afraid of change, especially the better change, and as Exposé and Spaces are just redundant features, which nobody uses (you are actually only the third I encountered admitting to this addiction, there is another poster and me, who claim to use it daily), you ought to never think of SnoLeo again. Understood?

Or you could try this:
    [SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

PS: If I need an update to my Macs, I am now limited to 2011 Macs, as Apple was so kind of enough to focus on iOS and bringing it to the Mac - yeah, change my arse.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stability. You cannot easily downgrade to Snow Leopard on the current generation of MBPs as they were refreshed after Lion was released.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've managed to get Lion to work even better than Snow Leopard for me, without any add-ons, and I was severely addicted to the old Exposé.

I use a lot of three-fingers-up and three-fingers-down on the trackpad, the latter of which has to be enabled in System Preferences. Basically, go to System Preferences and tick pretty much everything :) You can set Dashboard to still be an overlay instead of a separate space, too - that was a Lion change I really don't understand.

But yes, don't try and downgrade to Snow Leopard. Yes, it was a great OS, but Lion is better if you'll just allow yourself to soak up the changes.

P.S. I'm entirely converted to the reversed way of scrolling. SO instinctive once you're used to it.

5. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Well, they work flawlessly. Even the Launchpad key remaps itself to Dashboard.

6. SpiderDude thread starter macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Thanks for the feedback.

First of all, I wasn't even aware there could be problems in downgrading, so thanks a lot for that one. But it looks like that problem was solved, so no problem there anymore. :)

simsaladimbamba:

I am not afraid of change, Exposé and Spaces are not redundant if you need to drag around stuff from one Application from another.

sorry for not quoting, I really don't get along with it. xD

But you did miss a point, I was looking for something significantly better in Lion that would convince me to change...
    Like for instance, when moving from Leo to SnoLeo, the stability improvements were astonishing and it also freed 7 gigs of space on my HD. Some draging and copying features were also a nice addiction. But now on Lion, there's nothing to captivate me, because i really see MC as a bit silly and childish (as in: "You do not know how to organize yourself, let us do it for you")

again, thanks guys, these foruns are awesome thanks to you

(you should try going to some random PC forum to try to solve something on your mom's PC. Good God, the horror :p)

7. simsaladimbamba

That was meant sarcastically, as one user once said that to the people, who were not upgrading to Lion.
    I myself spend the 30 € on Lion and installed it on my iMac, but after a week it got the boot, as Mission Control is ****, utter ****.
    But I guess too few people were using Spaces with more than four spaces, thus going from this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    is not worth the extra eye candy.

That is why I also mentioned, that my future purchases are limited to 2011 Macs, unless I build myself a Hackintosh.

8. SpiderDude thread starter macrumors regular

SpiderDude

So, SnoLeo still rules?

Sorry, it's still hard for me to perceive sarcasm in written form. I suffer from Sheldonnism.. :p
    Well then, since an downgrade is now pretty common and safe, I think I have my answer.
    Anyways, thanks a ton people.
    I hope 10.8 becomes less dumb again.

Toodles

9. Damers macrumors regular

Do it. I spent three months on Lion and recently reverted back to SL. I spent too much time addressing things in Lion, it seemed to just... get in the way.