New MacBook Pro - Eye Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lawney, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Lawney macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 15 (2018). I got it up and running how I like (upgraded from a Retina MacBook Pro). Yesterday I used it for the first time to do work and was on it for around 5 hours straight with normal breaks. Mostly email and some software management.

Afterward I went for my regular walk/jog in the park, and I experienced what I would describe as an eye-brain disconnect. Sort of alarming and generally less stable, but still functional. Not so much like a headache, but new to me.

I believe I am vaguely susceptible to PWM backlight dimming and its potentially negative side-effects, but I've never had a computer monitor that had PWM. I did have an older OLED phone that had PWM and got consistent headaches, and switched to an LCD phone after discovering what PWM is.

I did a little research into the MacBook Pro's PWM dimming, and it seems to be the quickest on the market and supposedly imperceptible to even sensitive users (some Windows laptops have more noticeable PWM dimming frequency). So I assumed I wouldn't be affected.

Has anyone else had similar issues? The eye-brain disconnected feeling?

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

It sounds like what you are describing may be an ocular migraine. I have had them a few times. Not related to using the MBP or anything in particular, but they are very alarming when they do happen.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

3. Lawney thread starter macrumors newbie

Likely an ocular migraine, thank you. I don't see how a sudden change from a DC screen to a PWM screen couldn't cause one when I've been sensitive in the past. I've done a good deal of extra research over the past couple of days and it seems others have had similar issues.

4. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

I had PWM sensitivity issues with the XS Max. I recently had a 2017 13” TB that supposedly has PWM according to notebookcheck website. And didn’t experience any significant issues when using it.

Apparently the PWM that the MacBooks use are at a higher threshold and shouldn’t cause issues with people whom are sensitive to PWM.

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I am sure it could cause one. There are many triggers for ocular migraines including, bright lights, loud sounds, stress, anxiety, sun sensitivity. I can sometimes start to see then coming on in bright light if I don't put on sunglasses.

Even if it is true what AJAAY says about them being at a higher threshold to where they shouldn't cause issues (I have no idea). I still believe there can be a difference in what causes or doesn't cause issues for the majority of people and what is an issue for those who may be hypersensitive to something like that. Just like certain sounds that don't bother maybe 98% of the population, but to the 2%, they might be awful.