New MacBook Pro: fan noise and pro audio work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okgo, Mar 5, 2008.

1. okgo macrumors newbie

Are there any members here that use their macbook pro for intensive audio work (logic, live etc.)? Can you share any insights on how the fan noise impacts your work?

I've read here in several threads that the fans on the new macbook pro are usually always spinning at low speed, even when there's not much activity on the computer. Does this low-rpm noise bother you in a studio environment? Is a moderate sized audio project enough to kick the fans into high gear? Are the fans a problem when working on audio, or something you don't really notice?

Any insights greatly appreciated.
    This is the type of thing that is impossible to test out in a store.

peaceandlove
    /okgo

2. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I recently bought a 17'' MBP for recording and post production using Logic 8. It is definitely quiet enough provided the fans and other components are behaving. I recently had an excessive fan spin issue but resetting the PRAM sorted it out and all is working again.

I ran the demo Logic project Girls le Disco which is roughly 60 tracks with multiple plug-ins and inserts + video and that runs at about 50% CPU and fans are still similar to idling speed. That project is about 1.2GB in size.

Overall it handles very very well, it is not DEAD silent but is close enough in my opinion.

3. okgo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the details Joko.
    I'm guessing your were running the demo song off the internal drive which is impressive.

4. pionata macrumors 6502

I heard the 7200 rpm hd make more noise or trigger the fan more often... Is that true?