New Macbook Pro fans sounds like a jet while using Handbreak.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Mar 2, 2011.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Holy crap, I just started using Handbreak on my new MBP. Yes, encoding videos is a lot faster than my old MBP 2009, but also a lot louder. The fans got up to 6200 rpm. If is normal???

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's quite normal when temps are sustained at a higher level for some time. Temps will climb as demands on the CPU/GPU increase. There's nothing to worry about.

3. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Cool thanks bro

4. FunkTechNician macrumors member

how fast do u encode and at what settings? curious how good it does with 8gb ram and ssd

5. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

I only changed the average bibrate to 3600. An episode of Friends, that is almost 30 mins, to 6 minutes to encode, where my 2009 Macbook Pro took 12 minutes.

6. simsaladimbamba

Handbrake (as in "brake" - slowing something down - , not as in "break" - separate something into pieces) is CPU intensive, and the more one uses CPU, the more power is drawn, and the more power is drawn, the more heat is produced and emitted, and as more heat is emitted, the fans have to spin faster to properly get rid of the heat. As the fans spin faster, they produce more audible noise, thus Handbrake is noise on a notebook.