New MacBook Pro faster then old MacPro?

clank72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Trying to "down-size" my setup. I'm thinking of selling my Mid 2008 MacPro Dual 2.8 Quad-Core Xeon and getting the latest MBP 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with a Solid State drive?.

Will the MBP out perform my big MacPro?

Programs I always have open
Photoshop CS6
Adobe Bridge
Itunes
Word
Firefox
Preview app.
I also edit in Adobe Premiere on occasion.

So far I have no complaints how my 2008 MacPro performs. I do have a 2009 MPB intel core 2 duo and it's slow as hell.

Last edited:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
An SSD will make all disk-related activities happen basically instantly. So, for the most part, the new MBP will seem faster than the MP, except maybe when you're working in Premiere. But that has more to do with the SSD than the MBP. I don't think you'd be disappointed making that change.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Take what you see on that page with a grain of salt. It's completely synthetic and definitely does not paint the whole picture on how a computer will perform.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Take what you see on that page with a grain of salt. It's completely synthetic and definitely does not paint the whole picture on how a computer will perform.
Nope it doesn't, but it does give a good estimate of performance in CPU intensive serial processes.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
The MBP with the SSD will seem faster, but the same SSD in the MacPro will fly. You have 4 more cores to work with on the MacPro. That said, other than Photoshop most of the other tasks could be performed and seem just as fast on a baseline MBA.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Aside from Bridge and possibly Premiere, those applications scale horribly with core count. Because of this the newest macbook pro may feel a little zippier assuming you go with the quad core and load it with ram to the point where it touches the disk very little. This applies whether you use an ssd or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.