Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro models feature a considerably smaller heatsink due to supply chain issues, teardowns suggest.

macbook-pro-heatsink-design-changes.jpg
Top: M1 Pro logic board with larger heatsink. Bottom: M2 Pro logic board with smaller heatsink (via iFixit).

The new MacBook Pro's revised thermal architecture appears to be caused by the reduced overall footprint of the M2 Pro and M2 Max SoCs inside the device, as noted by iFixit and Max Tech. The M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pro models contained two, large memory modules, but the M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro models contain four slimmer memory modules. Even though the M2 Pro and M2 Max dies are physically larger than those of the M1 Pro and M1 Max, the SoCs as a whole take up less space.

macbook-pro-soc-design-changes.jpg
Left: M1 Pro SoC. Right: M2 Pro SoC (via iFixit).

This means that the M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro models do not require a heatsink as large as the one used for the previous generation. It is not clear if this significantly impacts thermal efficiency.

The reason for the use of four smaller memory modules appears to be supply chain issues. The entire SoC is mounted on a substrate, so four smaller modules allow Apple to use a smaller substrate, making a saving on materials and reducing complexity as a result. Dylan Patel, Chief Analyst at SemiAnalysis, told iFixit:
ABF substrates were in very short supply when Apple made the design choice. By using four smaller modules rather than two larger ones, they can decrease routing complexity within the substrate from the memory to the SoC, leading to fewer layers on the substrate. This allows them to stretch the limited substrate supply further.
The M2 Pro and M2 Max deliver up to 20 percent better CPU performance and 30 percent better GPU performance than their predecessors, but since the chips continue to be based on TSMC's 5nm process, some users have noted that Apple may have made thermal tradeoffs in order to deliver improved performance.

Article Link: New MacBook Pro Features Smaller Heatsink Due to Supply Chain Issues

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The MaxTech video comparison between the M1 Pro 14" and M2 Pro 14" did indicate that the smaller heatsink leads to diminished thermal performance - and showed the M2 Pro system got fairly significantly warmer under the same workload. Kind of sucks, but that's interesting to know the process of what led them to make that engineering decision.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The MaxTech video comparison between the M1 Pro 14" and M2 Pro 14" did indicate that the smaller heatsink leads to diminished thermal performance - and showed the M2 Pro system got fairly significantly warmer under the same workload. Kind of sucks, but that's interesting to know the process of what led them to make that engineering decision.
As a 16" M1 Max MBP owner I don't feel so bad now. ;)

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

Ah, so M2 MacBook Pro is better at warming my house vs M1 MacBook Pro.

Apple's got a ways to go to catching up to Intel though 🤣

... some users have noted that Apple may have made thermal tradeoffs in order to deliver improved performance.

Improved performance at warming my house/room? :p

Aenean144

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
That's not a heatsink. That's just the interface block that you are describing. The heat is transferred to the two radiator fins. The fans then blow air across the fins. The radiator fins are the heat sink. At least, that's what I classically think of as the heatsink.

This interface block completely covers the chip. It's fine.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
A little extra warmth isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me if performance doesn't otherwise suffer under sustained loads, but obviously there's a limit to what I'd consider 'comfortable' when on my lap.

But regardless of whether or not it'd be an issue for me, it's not a good look for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.