Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi,

I have been trying to follow the releases of MBP's closely. However, I recently talked to someone who said Apple is planning on releasing a new "Monster" MBP to correspond with the Leopard release. Normally I would just blow it off as a rumor, but it does make some sense. The most recent MBP's really aren't new. They are just slightly revamped versions of the 2.16/2.33 gen, and really didn't bring any new features, or much more power for that matter. I, like many was expecting the June 5th MBP's to be a complete upgrade, rather than just an update to the older ones, with things like a Blu-Ray drive, quad core processor, at least a 2.5ghz processor, and extended battery, but little of that was addressed. I would not be at all surprised if they were released just to "hold us over" until leopard. Have any of you heard anything to confirm or disprove the rumor of Oct. MBP's? I certainly hope they are coming...

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
They brought the santa rosa chip set, LED displays for the 15" and a HD build to order option for the 17", brand new high powered graphics cards and 2 GB RAM standard, also the ability to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM in a nut shell, no your not going to see new ones with leopard

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
They brought the santa rosa chip set, LED displays for the 15" and a HD build to order option for the 17", and 2 GB ram standard, in a nut shell, no your not going to see new ones with leopard

I was just going to say this. I would argue the last update has been the biggest update of the MBP. The iMac is probably going to see the most improvement next.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Hi,

I have been trying to follow the releases of MBP's closely. However, I recently talked to someone who said Apple is planning on releasing a new "Monster" MBP to correspond with the Leopard release. Normally I would just blow it off as a rumor, but it does make some sense. The most recent MBP's really aren't new. They are just slightly revamped versions of the 2.16/2.33 gen, and really didn't bring any new features, or much more power for that matter. I, like many was expecting the June 5th MBP's to be a complete upgrade, rather than just an update to the older ones, with things like a Blu-Ray drive, quad core processor, at least a 2.5ghz processor, and extended battery, but little of that was addressed. I would not be at all surprised if they were released just to "hold us over" until leopard. Have any of you heard anything to confirm or disprove the rumor of Oct. MBP's? I certainly hope they are coming...

Seems like you were expecting some miracles, to be honest.

- Has a quad-core processor even been announced by Intel in their roadmap, nonetheless put into production?

- Do ANY laptops have a blu-ray drive? Seems like that will still be way too cost prohibitive.

- Extended battery? Have battery technologies evolved in the last 6 months?

Sure, these things will come, but don't expect Apple to unveil technology that isn't already in a Dell any time soon...

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I'm so sick of people coming on here and asking the same question every two days. If you just ****ing searched or did a little bit of research, you'd find out that the next update in the Intel mobile roadmap is Penryn at the very end of the year. Currently 2.4GHz is the highest Core 2 Duo, so they can't upgrade that anymore. There are also no quad-core mobile processors.

Next MBP update = Macworld 08 or later.

As far as the last update, it was the biggest one since the MBP was introduced, and brought just about all features available at the current time. Apple can't put in things that haven't been made yet (quad core chips, affordable blu-ray).

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I understand what you all are saying, and you may all be right, but in my opinion, I was just expecting more. In response to the first poster, most of your reply was based on the chip set, you cited it 2 or 3 times. The new chipset really isn't better. Its got the same memory, and when apple was asked point blank if the Nvidia card was better than the ATI, apple refused to answer. So its more of a lateral movement than upwards. The LED displays are nice, but again, really not much of an improvement, just a different type of screen. I will say the Hi-Res on the 17 is very nice, but would have liked it to be an option on the 15 as well. Don't misinterpret what I am saying. I am a huge Apple fan, and think they deliver the most advanced computers there are, I was just expecting them to "Blow my socks off" with the most recent MBP as they have done with my iPhone, and what I have seen of Leopard. As for the Blu-Ray drive, yes, there are laptops with them, or at least ones being released very shortly. I haven't been keeping up with PC's, but last time I checked, the XPS line was suppose to get Blu-Ray support very soon, which may be out by now. If we do not see a new Pro come out in OCT with leopard, I fully believe that when the do come out, Jan or Feb I assume, it will have many of the features I listed. I predict the Jan/Feb to look something like this:

2.5/2.6 Duo or Quad processor, depending on intel,
4GB of standard ram
8+ hr battery
Blu-Ray Drive
200-250GB hard Drive
and High Res screens for both 15 and 17

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
- Do ANY laptops have a blu-ray drive? Seems like that will still be way too cost prohibitive.

Sony does, but it's a costly feature.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Hi,

Did you seriously believe that you getting some information/an opinion from someone, was confirmation that Apple would release a new MBP with Leopard?

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
There's nothing they can change, aside from a potential CPU bump by October.

The GPU is a step up, Apple didn't say anything 'coz Apple never says anything, the specs of both cards are available online, look them up.

You can already get it with 4GB RAM, it will *never* be standard - all computer makers need to leave room for people on different budgets, if you want it, configure it, or buy it from somewhere else.

Ditto for the HDD.

Why Blu-Ray? Why not HD-DVD?

Neither of these technologies is wide spread, much less so in laptops, Apple doesn't often pioneer new technologies and even large companies will not introduce it except in niche machines for the time being.

The 17" MBP already has a Hi-Res Screen, and its desirability is debatable at best, which imo is why it is an option and not std spec on the 17".

No offence, but I have to agree with the people that said you need to research the roadmaps and capabilities of the different technologies as you don't seem to know much about them - chipsets don't 'have memory' - SR can address 4GB compared to 3.3GB and has an 800MHz FSB as well as support for turbo memory amongst other things.

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
No, but I was hoping that the source he had gotten it from did have some sort of confirmation. Like I said, I am very hesitant to believe anything until seen from an official source, but ALSO like I said, it made sense in my opinion, since I don't hold the newest MBP's on as high of a pedestool as some people here obviously do. For all the people who just ordered the SR MBP, which I assume most of the people who are getting defensive and writing angry replies have done, I am not bashing your computer, rather just stating my opinion on apple's "upgrades"

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
I understand what you all are saying, and you may all be right, but in my opinion, I was just expecting more. In response to the first poster, most of your reply was based on the chip set, you cited it 2 or 3 times. The new chipset really isn't better. Its got the same memory, and when apple was asked point blank if the Nvidia card was better than the ATI, apple refused to answer. So its more of a lateral movement than upwards. The LED displays are nice, but again, really not much of an improvement, just a different type of screen. I will say the Hi-Res on the 17 is very nice, but would have liked it to be an option on the 15 as well. Don't misinterpret what I am saying. I am a huge Apple fan, and think they deliver the most advanced computers there are, I was just expecting them to "Blow my socks off" with the most recent MBP as they have done with my iPhone, and what I have seen of Leopard. As for the Blu-Ray drive, yes, there are laptops with them, or at least ones being released very shortly. I haven't been keeping up with PC's, but last time I checked, the XPS line was suppose to get Blu-Ray support very soon, which may be out by now. If we do not see a new Pro come out in OCT with leopard, I fully believe that when the do come out, Jan or Feb I assume, it will have many of the features I listed. I predict the Jan/Feb to look something like this:

2.5/2.6 Duo or Quad processor, depending on intel,
4GB of standard ram
8+ hr battery
Blu-Ray Drive
200-250GB hard Drive
and High Res screens for both 15 and 17

Your looking at that config coming in the next 2 years, not next 2 months, and besides there is improvement for the last update
Santa Rosa- Faster Speeds + 800 Mhz FSB
2 GB Ram Standard- Up from 1 GB
Nvidia 8800M GT- A lot better than the original X1600
LED displays for the 15" and a HD upgrade option for 17"
Bigger Hard drives
Also i think one model is lighter

Blue ray drives cost almost half of what the MPB does, and you expect apple to start including them for the same price. Would you be able to see anything on a HD 15", I doubt we will be seeing 8 hours battery life anytime soon.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
they are as well specced as any thin high performance laptop can possibly be.

or do you want them to use uber imaginary non invented hardware that no one else on the planet has?

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
Previous posts from regulars and users that have gained my trust seem to think that the next upgrade will be in early 2008. It makes sense to me as well. Apple is obviously well aware that Leopard is being released soon so they decided to upgrade the MBPs to handle it. The "slight" upgrades spoken about above are actually pretty big when in comparison to the rest of the laptop market. I'm pleased and await Leopard!

Cali_Man

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
No, but I was hoping that the source he had gotten it from did have some sort of confirmation. Like I said, I am very hesitant to believe anything until seen from an official source, but ALSO like I said, it made sense in my opinion, since I don't hold the newest MBP's on as high of a pedestool as some people here obviously do. For all the people who just ordered the SR MBP, which I assume most of the people who are getting defensive and writing angry replies have done, I am not bashing your computer, rather just stating my opinion on apple's "upgrades"

Right, but what they're saying is what you expect and what is possible right now are two very different things. The technologies you want now aren't even available now, let alone in a few months as standard laptop upgrades.

You want a faster processor, that's great. Except they don't exist (yet). So yeah, maybe you should rethink moving back to reality.

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Are the required specs for leopard really going to be that demanding? I know it's a 64 bit OS, but is the extra .7 ghz of processor (.4 on the 2.16 to 2.2) and 100-200 bus speed really going to make the difference of whether Leopard runs or not? You said the June 5th ones were released in prep for Leopard, but what MAJOR upgrade do they have that will allow them to run leopard significantly better than the previous generation?

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Right, but what they're saying is what you expect and what is possible right now are two very different things. The technologies you want now aren't even available now, let alone in a few months as standard laptop upgrades.

You want a faster processor, that's great. Except they don't exist (yet). So yeah, maybe you should rethink moving back to reality.

Exactly. The OP is disappointed because Apple did not put a faster processor in.... there are no faster processors in existence (for the MBP). Apple put the fastest & newest processors that are currently available in the computer.

It sounds to me that you (the OP) don't really have a clear understanding about what this technology is. You have proven that by talking about being disappointed because the MBPs did not get upgrades that are not even in existence right now.

If you truly understood what is in the computer, you would know that it is a top of the line laptop and that it was a major upgrade.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Are the required specs for leopard really going to be that demanding? I know it's a 64 bit OS, but is the extra .7 ghz of processor (.4 on the 2.16 to 2.2) and 100-200 bus speed really going to make the difference of whether Leopard runs or not? You said the June 5th ones were released in prep for Leopard, but what MAJOR upgrade do they have that will allow them to run leopard significantly better than the previous generation?

Leopard will run on G4's, so I'm not sure what you are getting at. Every Mac made today will run it just fine in October.

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I thought Leopard was a pretty easy to run OS too, as far as specs are concerned which is why I was asking the person who posted that the new MBP's were released to "Handle" leopard what he meant by that.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Do you see anything titled, or remotely similar to "New MacBook Pro is being released with/near Leopard" on Apple's website, or in any official press release? No, you don't, so it's not confirmed. In addition, as others have said, other Macs are much more due for an upgrade than the recently revamped MacBook Pro.

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
From what I can make out, from the defensive comments, and flat out rude replies, it all depends on what computer you have. No one here is giving solid facts as to what the MAJOR differences are GENERALLY and if you have a previous gen MBP, you say the differences aren't that big, and if you have the SR model, you say the differences are massive, and that it's a completely different computer specs wise, than the previous gen. My personal unbiased opinion is that, yes, the Newer MBP's are upgrades from the last gen. Leaving my opinion as to whether the upgrades are sufficient or not out of this, the computers are very close in technical specs. Again, yes, the newer ones are obviously better, but "massivly" better? I think not.

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
I thought Leopard was a pretty easy to run OS too, as far as specs are concerned which is why I was asking the person who posted that the new MBP's were released to "Handle" leopard what he meant by that.

That probably wasn't the deciding factor to upgrade them. Wouldn't that be part of the reason though? If I or anyone else thought about it I am sure their development team did as well.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
From what I can make out, from the defensive comments, and flat out rude replies, it all depends on what computer you have. No one here is giving solid facts as to what the MAJOR differences are GENERALLY and if you have a previous gen MBP, you say the differences aren't that big, and if you have the SR model, you say the differences are massive, and that it's a completely different computer specs wise, than the previous gen. My personal unbiased opinion is that, yes, the Newer MBP's are upgrades from the last gen. Leaving my opinion as to whether the upgrades are sufficient or not out of this, the computers are very close in technical specs. Again, yes, the newer ones are obviously better, but "massivly" better? I think not.

What exactly do you want though? Apple is now offering the best CPU's and best GPU's currently available in these laptops....... it's not like Apple could put an even faster CPU or even better GPU in the MBP.

Yes, it's an ugprade over the previous MBP. And no, frankly, for someone who already has an MBP, there isn't a huge reason to need to get the current model (unless you have an original Core Duo MBP, in which case the improved cooling introduced with the C2D MBP's would be worthwhile, not to mention that the 8600M GT is much more powerful than the drastically underclocked X1600 in the original MBP).

I'd also argue though that the LED-backlit screen is an important upgrade over the previous MBP's (especially compared to an MBP screen that has already started to dim over time).

-Zadillo

silenthill33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
In your opinion,
If you were to sit down and compare the 2.2, 128mb GT8600 2GB ram Santa Rosa, with a 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, and 256 Radeon, which one would win graphics wise? Or overall performance wise for that matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.