new macbook pro freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ph900921, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ph900921 macrumors newbie

hi I just got my new macbook pro today. It is also my very first mac and so I do not know a whole lot about it (but very excited haha)

so its currently on default settings in terms of battery life, standby and etc.
    my problem is that every time the lights dim after about 15 seconds of inactivity (to prepare to go to sleep?) the screen is active (like on ms word the position locator is still blinking and a video keeps running) but the computer is frozen in that the mouse and the keyboard doesn't work. this is very irritating because i can't leave me computer alone for more than a couple seconds without it doing this. I can reset it by closing and waiting for it to get out of standby.

On another note, how do I get it so that when i watch videos or stream online, the light won't dim every couple of minutes? Can I possibly program it so when a video is on, the light will stay bright? thank you so much for all your help!

2. Apple addict macrumors member

Congrats on the new MBP. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and love it :)
    In answer to your questions you might try changing some of the settings in the energy savings preferences (click on the battery symbol in the menu bar top of screen). I would increase the time for computer sleep, display sleep. In particular I would deselect the box for automatically reduce the brightness before display dims.
    Experiment with these settings and see if it helps the issue.

Gary