New Macbook Pro - Future SSD Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Bahamut., Jul 30, 2010.

1. .Bahamut. macrumors newbie

Hey Gang,

Im ordering my first macbook pro in August!
    -15inch i7
    -1680x1050
    -4gb etc..

Im ripping out the stock HD and adding an SSD.

Anyway! On to my question. In regards to SSDs, i've done some searching around without finding my answer.

a) whats the best ~128gb SSD for the mbp

b) and more importantly are there any new things on the horizon that I need to be aware of ? New SSD technology, New SSDs that we're waiting for ?

Im a complete ssd idiot. Anything I need to lookout for when buying ? Trim ?

Thanks for your time!

2. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

OWC Mercury, Corsair Force, OCZ Vertex 2. Pretty much any Sandforce drive. Just find the best pricing that you can.
    In Q4, Intel will be rolling out their G3 line of SSDs that will be cheaper, faster, and have more memory. No one is sure of specifics.
    Any decent SSD on the market today should have TRIM. Just be aware that OS X does not support TRIM yet.

3. .Bahamut. thread starter macrumors newbie

Big Fan of Corsair hardware - How would this one work ? Looks like great reviews.

Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

4. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Yeah, that's a good drive. It performs really well.

5. phixiuz macrumors regular

Why not consider an Intel X25 160GB SSD? I think those are still the best SSD drives on the market right now?

I've got one and no regrets of it, just the fact that it broke down on me few weeks ago. Suddenly it wouldn't boot and my laptop wouldn't recognize it anymore... Intel couldn't believe it themselves at first, seems I'm probably one of the first persons with a X25 SSD failure... I guess you shouldn't worry it would happen to you :) (failure rate is estimated to be less than 1% I just read).

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

From what I've read the Corsair drives run into problems later on (the SF controller still seems a bit rough around the edges); Intel drives are still the tried & true.

7. .Bahamut. thread starter macrumors newbie

Intel X25 160GB > Corsair 120 ? Other opinions between the 2 ?

8. magamo macrumors 6502

I don't know how fast other SSDs are. But my first generation X25-M 160GB has been in my MBP for a year and a half and is still blazing fast. At least mine was able to take the constant several hours per day use plus casual torrenting.

I heard the current version of X25-M was faster and more reliable/durable than the first generation I have when it comes to performance drop and such even when OS doesn't support TRIM. So it seems X25 is one of the more reliable SSDs out there, though it may not be the fastest possible drive you can get. As Tmacfan said, Intel is expected to release the third generation X25-M later this year. I will definitely buy one when they hit the market.

Anyway, whichever SSD you choose, you'll understand why some SSD users say they'll never buy a HDD again. Just make sure you pick a widely recommended drive.

9. .Bahamut. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah leaning towards the F120 or the OC Vertex 2. Can't decide!

10. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Another option:

Kingston SSDNow V+ Series SNVP325-S2/128GB

I have had it for a couple of months now and absolutely no complaints. Hopefully, next gen Snow Leopard supports TRIM and S.M.A.R.T., cause this drive does both.

11. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

I'm going with Intel X25-M G2.
    It would make sense to go with this drive because it's not only one of the best SSD's out in the market,
    but also because to have matching brand; both processor wise (intel i5, i7 series) and SSD (Intel X25-M G2)

That's just my personal opinion though.