New MacBook Pro ! Good strong sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuartmack1974, Jul 10, 2011.

1. stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Hi all,

Im fairly new to Mac, but a complete convert to Mac and this site, apart from the occasional sh**y comment from old heads against 'newbie' questions. Bear with us a little eh? :0)

Just wondering if somebody could recommend a really good strong case or sleeve for a 15". Just want something thats fairly minimalist but very well padded for when my MBP goes walkabout in the backpack.

Thanks, Stuart:D

2. 32knights macrumors newbie

Look at Waterfield Designs at sfbags.com. They have open and closed end sleeves. I have several of their products and have no complaints. Very durable and betters then the cheap neoprene sleeves. A little pricey though.

3. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

4. cnixon macrumors member

I would also recommend the Waterfield Sleeve. I have bought three of their sleeves over the past year or so, and they are perfect. I couldn't imagine a more durable sleeve.

5. newskin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I ordered a Colcasac also but for my ipad. Havent had a chance to compare it with a waterfield but i gotta say that the colcasac is perfect for the ipad so i will be ordering one for the macbook.
    It is very soft and plush on the inside and very durable on the outside, def check em out.

6. Shohan macrumors newbie

I don't know if it fits your minimalist standard, but I picked up an Vyper M3 from Booq and it's pretty darn good and strong. My 15" fits pretty snug in it.

[​IMG]

7. stuartmack1974 thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks guys. Ive got a colcasac on my Macbook, Ipad and Air:eek::eek: , but as nice as they are they dont really provide that much protection from knocks, and the MBP has cost me a few bucks.

Shohan - that looks pretty tuff, ill check it out, thank you.

Stuart:D

8. blackbinary macrumors member

I was looking at the booq too, that vyper is really nice.

I think it depends on how your using the macbook. When at university I carry mine around in a messenger bag, which is rugged and secured around my body well. So I'm not afraid of drops then. And when its not in my bag, it won't be dropping much at all.

Because of this, I'm going with a culcasac. While hard cases are nice, I think the thick fleece interior of the culcasac will offer more protection against pressure, like books in a bad leaning again the laptop, and the heavy duty canvas outside will provide the best protection against scratches.

I saw the Vyper in person, and found that it doesn't seem as durable as canvas, and I'm afraid the zipper might break after a lot of uses (whereas the culcasac has velcro).

Theres also an aesthetic element to the culcasacs that I really like. But ultimately it's up to you, but I would like to add that the culcasac has better corner-drop protection than the booq. You see the booq has zipper on the corners, and has rounded corners. Whereas the culcasac has squared off corners that are stuffed to the brim with fleece.

So yea, wooo culcasacs.

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I was about to find the link in my bookmarks but Shohan found it for me :D

I'd definitely recommend the Vyper M3 from Booq; I'm planning on getting my new MBP(Air?) this upcoming weekend or later and probably going to get that sleeve if I have some money left over.

As a student and regular laptop user, I think the only times the machine can get damaged (from my use anyway) is when I throw it in my bag along with books and whatnot. A sleeve allows me to keep the unit naked and also protected when moving it.

11. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

12. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

HIGHLY reocmend the incase neoprene sleeve plus

made a vid on it too if u want to see my overall opinion.

best sleeve for protection and value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YupQI-jhjQ&feature=channel_video_title

in terms of a case, incase/speck make hardshell cases, but see how the sleeves works out, and if u still think u need a case, the incase sleeve will fit the macbook with a case on, but they cost like5 0 bucks so, get it if you really think u need it.

hope my vid helps

subscribe if you like :D

14. stuartmack1974 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for allthe help guys, went for a La Robe memory foam one in the end. I do have a colcasac on my White MacBook and ipad2, very nice they are 2.

Cheers, Stu

15. blackbinary macrumors member

Good to know. One problem I had is that there are so few sleeves for 17", it can really limit options.

16. randomrazr macrumors 65816

thats cause buying a 17inch laptop is a dumb idea.

u buy a laptop to carry around, not carry around a desktop replacement LOL