New Macbook Pro Hardware questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloakedpegasus, Apr 13, 2010.

1. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

Some of these questions might be kind of dumb but i need a few definitive answers.
    1) I've read before that apple downgraded sata speeds on MBP's from II to I. Is this true? In a couple of threads I've read some ppl say theirs is at 1.5, others say its at 3.
    2) Apples SSD's: Do they use any kind of garbage collection to put off performance degradation associated with long term(or short term if you use it enough)use?
    3) Apples SSD's are VERY pricey. I've read in a few places that it is not a top of the line product in terms of performance. If I replace the stock Hard drive, does opening the MBP to replace it with an alternate SSD (lets say corsair or intel) is the applecare or standard warranty voided in any way?
    4)I did a quick google and apparently the 2.66ghz i7 in the laptop is not quadcore? I find it odd seeing as how other 2.66ghz i7's (such as in vaio z) are quadcore. Then again I do not have part number. Does anyone know?

I think thats it for now. Thank you for helping me with these hardware questions.

P.S. Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of the antiglare display?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. That was remedied with a firmware update.
    2. I don't know. MRoogle perhaps???
    3. It will not void the warranty, it is even described in their user guide that comes with the Mac.
    4. There are mobile and desktop versions of the i7, the mobile i7 is only dual core but can have 4 threads. Maybe the Sony uses desktop versions of the i7, but that may degrade the battery life due to the higher TDP.

3. cloakedpegasus thread starter macrumors member