New Macbook Pro Hd space???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacintheTosh33, Dec 26, 2008.

1. MacintheTosh33 macrumors newbie

ok so i just bought a brand new Aluminum MacBook Pro and it's supposed to be 320 Gb but when i right click the Macintosh HD icon and "get info" it says that the capacity is only 297.77 GB. Can someone tell me where the other 23 Gb went?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Searching is fundamental. This is just but one of many threads in MacRumors alone.... HD Space

3. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

What you have encountered is the great scam of false advertising used by hard drive manufacturers. A certain percentage of a hard drive's true space is taken up during formating and in creation of the disk file system. In this case, around 20 GB was lost. This is the same for every single computer system sold today by any manufacturer.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

If you run monolingual you'll pick up an extra GB too.

The above poster posted exactly what I would have said too. It's a bit of a scam put forth by the HD manufactures.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, basically there's a few things that come down to a hard drive's "actual" space.

After formatting the drive...
    After the operating system and all the programs, accessories, drivers are installed...
    After everything has been setup...

...the size of the drive decreases.

There isn't really anyway to get around that. Monolingual was mentioned above -- that's a good app to get back at least a couple gigabytes.