Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I was wondering what would happen if I wanted to connect the new Macbook Pro through HDMI to my Dell U2515H. It has a resolution of 2560x1440 and it says on Apple's website that using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter you will only get 60hz up to 1080p. I understand that no one is able to test these things yet, but lower than 60hz would obviously be really crazy if any regular computer with HDMI can drive that effortlessly.

Or is there a better way to connect? It also has a DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort. I don't want to be surprised when I get a new Macbook and my monitor doesn't work like it does now.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
I think there are other adapters out there, don't just look at Apple's accessories. Try to find a decent TB3 to DisplayPort, you should be able to do even 4K@60hz

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
But what about cases when a monitor or beamer only has HDMI input. Would another non-Apple adapter be able to run at 60hz?

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the Apple adapter or HDMI to USB-C or the Macbook Pro itself. I read that on the retina Macbook with a hack it was possible to get it running at 60hz. It all sounds a bit like a pain that this wouldn't just work out of the box.

EnesM

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2015
But what about cases when a monitor or beamer only has HDMI input. Would another non-Apple adapter be able to run at 60hz?

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the Apple adapter or HDMI to USB-C or the Macbook Pro itself. I read that on the retina Macbook with a hack it was possible to get it running at 60hz. It all sounds a bit like a pain that this wouldn't just work out of the box.

I don't know, it's not up to Apple really. Intel has delayed proper HDMI 2.0 so many times, HDMI body has delayed making proper TB3 to HDMI 2.0b cables...(they've made one, but it supports up to HDMI 1.4 for some reason)...royalties, royalties...

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
1440p 60 Hz is pretty uncontroversial, and the Apple HDMI Multiport USB-C adaptor can do it just fine.

Or you can get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. That would be my preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.