Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad1550

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
We purchased new Macbook Pro for my daughter and installed Time Machine backup from her previous Macbook. It worked but brought over duplicate photos. She wants the new Macbook Pro to work like a new macbook Pro with just her certain data brought over.

How do I restore from a fresh new Macbook Pro and then bring over certain Time Machine backup files?

Please help as my daughter is upset.

Thanks,

Bob

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
She wants the new Macbook Pro to work like a new macbook Pro with just her certain data brought over.

How can't a new MBP work like a new MBP.. ? :confused:

Why would she be upset, it's a brand new MBP... either way, you could selectively choose what to backup from Time Machine. But now that you've brought in everything I guess you could just delete what's left?

bad1550

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
How can't a new MBP work like a new MBP.. ? :confused:

Why would she be upset, it's a brand new MBP... either way, you could selectively choose what to backup from Time Machine. But now that you've brought in everything I guess you could just delete what's left?

She did not like that it looked exactly like her Macbook. It duplicated photos
How can I restore to factory settings on new Macbook Pro and then selectively bring over certain files , video, Itunes, etc?

I appreciate your help

Bob

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can put in the snow leopard disk that came with it and do a fresh install.

That will bring you back to brand new. I'm not sure about the rest. Why not move the files over manually or is the other comp kaput?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.