new macbook pro horrible battery life! 94% capacity after 55 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btnnaz, Nov 22, 2008.

1. btnnaz macrumors regular

I have the new macbook pro and on full brightness the laptop only lasts about 2 hours! is this normal?

I Used coconut battery and this is what I got

Original battery capacity : 4600 mAh
    Current Battery capacity : 4600 mAh
    94% of Original

Battery Loadcycles 55
    Age of your mac 7 weeks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

92% health after 63 cycles over nearly 4 years. Mind you it's a PB, but to compare ... there you have it.

Your battery seems like it is rather bad.

3. jgo78 macrumors 6502

new mbp, that's nothing, mine is 94% with 25 cycles. And i've calibrated.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Your math is off there. If the original capacity was 4600 and the current capacity is 4600, you have 100% health. I don't think 2 hours is really that bad... though it depends on what you're doing. Having the screen at maximum brightness will bring down your battery life, as well as having AirPort and/or Bluetooth on, not to mention the demand of the applications you are running.

5. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

I made a mistake that's the wrong number i'll post the other one later but i know its 94%

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You've only had 63 cycles with a 4 year laptop? :eek: Did you use it for a few months then lock it away in a cupboard? :eek:

[​IMG]

7. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the screen shot. I get like 2 hours (sometimes less) on a full charge on full brightness using just internet. By the way it's the brand new one

Attached Files:

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Have you calibrated your battery yet? I'm seeing mine do some bouncing around in capacity typically 2-3% in the new Apple notebooks.

9. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

Let it die completely then recharge....Yep.

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

How far did you let it die? 5 hours setting time before plugging in charger after the computer turns itself off due to low battery?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

heh nope. It was my desktop replacement while at home and used it through my college years.
    Are you now convinced the new laptops also require that 5 hour downtime to properly calibrate?

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

No, I'm not... I'm letting mine sit right now for the prescribed amount of time to see if it budges from the 99-100% happy place it's been at without the long dead battery rest period.

13. Pneublet macrumors member

That's pretty bad. I'm at 25 cycles and still have 100% battery

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^^ I think needing to leave your laptop off for 5 hours in that deep sleep mode is insane. I honestly believe if the desired result was deep sleep then on the new books it is almost instant gratification. Then again, what do I know? ;)

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Mr Apple says:

Attached Files:

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I said it was insane and I said the desired results (deep sleep basically a shutdown) are now achieved in a matter of minutes. I've read that doc enough to know but clearly my thoughts that the 5 hour wait time is not only insane but unnecessary are trumped by the document. So I am clearly wrong, but completely entitled to sharing a thought on the matter ... with a fair amount of logic behind it.

17. stevemiller macrumors 65816

55 cycles!? the laptop's only been out for 39 days... so are you fully draining the battery twice or more daily on a fairly regular basis? i'm new to laptops, but that combined with the full brightness usage sounds like it might be pretty taxing on a battery.

that said, battery tech does leave something to be desired. i've got only 10 cycles on mine and use the screen at low brightness when on battery and the thing still only lasts for 2-3 hrs for web browsing.

18. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It is a pain, but the last few drops left in the battery have to be sucked up for full calibration to be completed when the battery is recharged.

19. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

A 6% loss after 55 cycles looks pretty normal to me. Or not? On my Early 2008 MBP I get 98 % after only 10 cycles! However according to the instructions that have been posted, looks like I've never properly calibrated my battery since I've skipped the 5 hours sleep. I just used the same procedure used for my Powerbook G4 where you just fully recharged after sleep.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't know if I've ever had a battery that was really 100% new. Usually 98-99% tops.

So if you go by the 80% for 300 cycles rule, 94% for 55 cycles is reasonable.

21. porridge111 macrumors newbie

this is scary

i've got a similar problem. My battery was pretty good (like 3-4 hours) from a full charge, and then I had it plugged in for about a week, and now I never get more than two hours:eek:. I've had my computer for a little more than a year, and my health thingy says 46%, and my current capacity is only 2586:mad:

My battery has gotten useless just because I had it plugged in for a few days in a row. And my computer is no longer in waranty. I guess I'll have to start bringing my poweradapter to class everyday...

any suggestion how to fix this crap

22. RKpro macrumors 6502

Age of my mac is 3 months, I've had 20 cycles, still at 100% health. I don't think I can get less then 2.5 hours out of mine even if I tried, I'm really impressed with my battery. I normally get 3.5-4.5 hours, one time I got 5 hours but I've had to take extreme measures to stretch it that long.

23. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I have the same issue. Relatively new Mac, battery life shows 2:10 on full charge sitting idle on lowest screen setting.

This can't be right. I know Apple is generally full of lies with battery life, but even Apple can't exaggerate this much.

Surfing the web, I get about 1.5 - 2 hours from a full charge.

I'm going to re-calibrate the battery tonight, re-set the SMC and see if that helps. If not, I'll take it in.

I wish Apple's quality wasn't so horrific nowadays.

24. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

If your Mac is new (i.e. less than 6 months) then you shouldn't be worried.. you can always ask for a replacement battery if it really is that bad. (Less than 6 months, less than 100 cycles and less than 70%)