New Macbook pro i5: Hard disk failure or something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggman32, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Eggman32 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I just got my macbook pro 4 days ago, this is my first mac, and I experienced a problem with it. I woke it out of sleep with a bunch of programs running to find the colored ring spinning for a minute or two. I didn't know what else to do so I held down the power button and turned the machine off. I then turned it back on to find a flashing folder with a ?. I put in the installation cd and called apple support. (customer service was great) They told me to go to the disk utility, and the Mac HD wasn't showing up anywhere. They told me I would need a repair or exchange so I said I wanted a brand new system. After I got off the phone I turned the machine off and on again and the system boot up normally. So now I'm getting a replacement, is that a good idea or should I call back? I figure if this went wrong once it might happen again.

2. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

It's up to you since they apparently approved your claim for a new machine, but it could have just been a one-time weird thing with the spinning wheel of doom.

One thing you might not have tried since you're a new Mac User is to try to Force-Quit any program that might not be responding. OSX is built around a Unix/FreeBSD frame, which separates the "core" of the operating system from applications.

3. Eggman32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually did just end up sending it in. They said they are shipping me a brand new one and it'll be here next week. I guess I'd rather not have to worry that this issue would happen again.

4. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Random things like that happen from time to time, but are usually are not that big of a deal. You just seem to have been unlucky as it happened right after you got ur first mac :(

I hope your new one works great and that you will remain a mac faithful :apple:

5. Eggman32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, after I got it to work again I feel kind of stupid that I'm exchanging it. But I didn't have too much data on it yet and the support said I should exchange it. But I'm loving mac so far :)