New Macbook Pro i5 problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ashapalan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Hi, hopefully someone here will be able to help me on this one...

I've just come back from work, opened up my laptop and it was completely unresponsive. I did a forced reboot and up to the log in window all seemed well. However once I logged in it took 15 minutes to get to the desktop and open activity monitor. Activity monitor shows that after this fresh start up, only 7MB of my 4GB of ram is free and I have 10.10 GB of page outs wih a virtual memory size of 160GB and rising quickly.

Is my Mac in meltdown or something?

Activity monitor doesn't show any abnormal processes.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

2. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Wow I've never heard that happening before...nevertheless ill try to help :)

First, are you running lion or Snow Leopard?

Second, when you open activity monitor go up to the top where it says show and theres a dropdown menu above it...click the drop down and select all processes and find out whats using all your ram...

3. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I should have said - I am running on 10.7

Thanks for the help, it turned out to be an outstanding print job :confused:

Last thing before I left this morning was try and print a PDF document and it was sitting in the print queue saying 'printing' - It was doing anything but printing though, instead swallowing my ram in seconds and then amounting 184GB of virtual memory before I could stop it.

Im a bit surprised that the OS couldn't work out something was wrong and quit the process, must have been stressing my drive quite a bit?

Anyways cheers for the quick response.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

that is rather impressive to see one task eat up so much RAM. I program, and a garbage collector should have picked up on it, but OS X must have dropped the ball.

When you ask to print something, and your computer does no have access to a printer, it keeps trying till it can print. it should probably be a boolean function, but instead you got some infinite loop that wasn't being garbage collected. At least now we know that the processor can execute simple tasks at excruciatingly fast speeds! :cool: