New Macbook Pro (Inspection)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatlifeforme, Aug 31, 2011.

1. whatlifeforme macrumors member

I just received a new macbook pro through my university about a week ago. Is there anything in particular I should inspect on it to make sure it is not defective?

It is the base 15" model; definitely wish I could have upgraded from a 5,400rpm hdd, but the school doesn't offer that.

A few complaints, not sure if this is normal:

1) trackpad isn't as solid as I imagined when "clicking."
    2) troubles with flash video (think this is a software issue)
    3) keyboard backlight isn't very bright

It seems like the colors (black keyboard, and grey unibody surrounding the keyboard, have lost some of their gloss / color.. as if from sun or skin oils..)
    It doesn't have that sharp "pop," to it.. It may just be the lighting in my room.

I'll post any updates as I remember. :apple:

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

trackpad is not suppose to be solid or else it would mke it difficult to use the click feature

apple hates flash so dont be suprised. just hit software update

its a backlight keyboard, not a flashlight. try it in a dark room and you'll see "its bright enough"

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Backlight should be dim. It should be dim enough not to cause eye strain at night.

It isn't there to look good, it's there to help you see the keys in the dark. Bright light would cause eye strain and be too distracting.

4. throner macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Along with what has already been said, it seems like you're going out of your way looking for problems - inspecting the laptop to see if anything is wrong? Enjoy the thing and if something pops up I'm sure the university would take care of it (assuming it's really a defect).

I get my MBP from UW-Stout tomorrow morning. After being a Windows user my entire life, I'm psyched almost for the relief alone! Haha.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The relief of what? Getting the computer?

6. throner macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

"Escaping" Windows to OS X, and the computer.

7. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

1)Try clicking around, it's more solid as you get near the top.
    2)(I assume you have OS X Lion) I don't keep up with lion bugs as I haven't experienced any but I've read thread titles and it seems that there is a flash bug in Lion.
    3)It's plenty bright in the dark, which is where I would think you'd use it.
    4)Every week or so, I take my lens cleaning cloth and wipe my keyboard. It really does the trick!