New macbook pro issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman678, Jul 24, 2011.

1. macman678 macrumors newbie

I have the first ever macbook pro which is got about 5-6 years ago. It still runs fine but I will be getting a new one for college in september. Now hear is my issue: I want to transfer my music and photos etc. over to my new 2011 MBP, but the genius at the apple store said that since my MBP is so old the actual construction of files is different. So I will run a risk by transferring the files my self. Is this true?? They said they would do it for 99$!!!! I said SERIOUSLY! 99$?? Also I do have some torrented music and such from demonoid etc. and don't want apple finding it! Do you think I would just be able to transfer everything myself with a firewire or something or should apple do it?
    Thanks for reading...much appreciated!

2. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

Apple store geniuses are like used cars salesman.... well, some are..

this genius is wrong...

your pics are probably .jpgs and your music is mp3's... or mp4..

put those apps on your backup drive (firewire or usb)... or burn them to a dvd, or throw them in dropbox..

3. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

1) your files are probably fine
    2) Apple geniuses dont have time or patience to snoop around and figure out if your music is legit or pirated
    3) even if it is torrented they legally can't do anything as it's not their content you pirated

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you'll be fine. my music collection began when I got my first mac - a powerbook (the precursor to the MacBook Pro), and I now have it on several Macs running Lion (including a 2010 MacBook Pro), and a PC, with no issues at all. The genius was just trying to get you to buy transfer service. I would avoid dealing with him in the future

5. rienrah macrumors newbie

I think they're giving you a load of BS. I just got a new macbook pro, and easily transferred all of my data from my ancient iBook G4, no problem whatsoever. Using migration assistant over wi-fi (I didn't have a firewire cable handy) the process was a bit time-consuming, but simple and effortless.