New Macbook Pro issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by all link, Aug 23, 2015.

1. all link macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro with Retina. It was running really smoothly and I'm not sure what I have done but when I use my Mac from startup it runs smoothly and then eventually starts to lag a bit when scrolling, exiting apps, hovering the mouse above the apps on the dock etc. I then restart my mac and it runs smoothly again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also I haven't downloaded any files that are massive. Just things like Google Chrome, CCleaner and AVG etc.

Thanks

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would suggest that you first uninstall the AVG software. Reboot and see if the system still has a slow down issue. If that does not solve that issue, create a new user account, reboot and login to the new user account. See if the slow down issue still happens.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd uninstall all those three. They're not needed, and Chrome is inferior to Safari unless you need specific extensions.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think all three are contributing to the performance issues imo and as others stated, uninstall them :)

Good luck

5. all link thread starter macrumors newbie

How come? Isn't CCleaner supposed to get rid of the unnecessary stuff kept on your mac and AVG from me getting a virus?

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

The only way you are going to know is uninstall them. Try that first and see if the issue goes away.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

What unnecessary stuff on your Mac exactly?

Not to kickstart a mass debate that goes massively off topic. In my opinion :
    1) There are no viruses in the wild for OS X, therefore AV software is unnecessary. By all means install AV software to run a periodic scan, but then uninstall it again. I'd pick Sophos over AVG.
    2) OS X has it's own behind the scenes maintenance scripts that run on a schedule. Ccleaner while it may be a handy utility on older Windows machines, is completely unnecessary on OS X.
    3) Chrome is just badly coded bloatware that obliterates battery life. Older versions didn't play well with retina displays.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I second the opinions: uninstall all three applications.
    After uninstall you might want to check manually for the leftovers. You can do it with EasyFind. Delete the found entries of AVG, CCleaner and Chrome. Restart.

P.S.: There is a little software that can be handy in this process: AppCleaner.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

CCleaner and lots of other similar apps make a lot of money by convincing people that there's "unwanted" stuff on their Mac that is slowing things down. In SOME cases, there might be, but it's not something a fresh install won't fix. And in the majority of cases, CCleaner and similar apps aren't helping, and may actually hurt performance.

Your new MacBook Pro is unlikely to have anything on it so soon that would wreck your performance... UNLESS you installed a bunch of gunky "optimization" programs.

I would suggest backing up your files, and doing a fresh install of the OS and software (not from a Time Machine Backup), and then avoid installing any "cleaner" programs.

Chrome is also a huge resource hog and not worth using at this point.

Malware exists on Macs, but there is already built-in OS security that does a good job of helping you avoid it. The stuff that can hurt you on a Mac does so largely by convincing the user that it's a legitimate program and that you should grant administrator privileges to install it. If the malware manages to convince you to give it the keys to the castle, then no antivirus software is going to help you.

Bottom line: AVG running constant scans is robbing your Mac of resources, and probably won't be much help to you anyway.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CCLeaner does more damage and does nothing for your computer. As for virus software, there is no viruses out in the wild, yes there are malware but you can largely protect yourself with some smart computing habits.

As for Chrome, that is a resource hog, pure and simple.

So you have virus software that slows your computer down because its monitoring everything and it's not required, you have a browser that is known to be slow and bloated on OS X and a product (CCleaner) that at best has dubious benefits.

Since you're dealing with performance issues, try uninstalling them and see if things improve.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree with the others. None of those three are worth having on your Mac and are likely causing at least some if not all of your performance issues. I would also recommend uninstalling them. The only browsers I use are Safari and Firefox. Virus software is not needed nor is something like Ccleaner. I have Malwarebytes installed mainly on the recommendation of people on these forums and run that once a day.

12. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

I don't have any of those programs and have the same issue. Seems to happen after a couple of times sleeping and waking. Very annoying...

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Is the "lag" so bad it accidentally reopened a 15 month old thread?

14. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

lol oh weird. I just clicked the similar threads at bottom. Welp looks like this happens on the new ones also :p

15. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I would dump those programs with the exception of Chrome, but don't use it unless you need to. I find I need to keep in on the machine in the event there is something wonky Safari won't open. Otherwise I don't use it as my primary browser, I use Safari because it's optimized and Chrome is a battery hog. Chrome is fast on these MBPs though, just consistently uses more battery than Safari does. I've been testing them for weeks, Safari wins every time.

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You're wasting your time - it's a Necrothread...