New Macbook Pro Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ikyo, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I just got a new 15" Macbook Pro and tried to restore my drive image to it and noticed that it wouldn't boot. I went into Verbose mode and say it hanging on the loading drivers section of booting. I thought that was strange so I tried to boot from my Snow Leopard installation CD that I purchased at launch and it would not boot either. Has anyone had any issues like this when trying to restore?

2. Ikyo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I am verifying all disk permissions now. I am sure it has something to do with a driver change that was made with the new machines. If I an install over the top of the current install, it won't modify the application folder correct so I should still have everything installed and working.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, if you don't erase the HD, everything will be the same, it'll just reinstall the system files which are currently corrupted

4. Ikyo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I don't think they are corrupted. I reinstalled this image on another MBP and didn't have any problems with it. I think it has something to do with a driver change.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What image did you restore? You can't use other Mac's image as they have different drivers causing the driver issue you are now dealing with. Use Time Machine to migrate files from Mac to Mac

6. Ikyo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I will be trying that next. This is pretty much the same thing in reverse. I have used the image on other machines in the past along as you remove certain files that contain the driver list. When you install the combo updates, it will contain all of the KEXT files for the machine. I am thinking there are some files that weren't available yet. This is similar to the software for the brand new Airport extremes being newer then anything you can download. It also explains why the retail copy of Snow Leopard I purchased will not boot too. Here is a link to a great writeup on making a universal disk image:

Universal Image

7. Jof macrumors regular

Consider using Time Machine to restore the documents if you can get away with that, not the whole OS.