New Macbook pro + itunes is not recognizing iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tigress666, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, background:

I just got a new macbook pro and I have mostly made it similar to my old mac (I did it manually cause I didn't want to copy every little thing from the old mac so I didn't use migration assistance except for the applications).

Anyways, I even took my old itunes folder from my old computer and replaced it over the current itunes folder. So that made itunes show up exactly like it did on my old computer (kept my playlists that told me when I added a song).

Problem:
    I just connected my iphone right now just to see what would happen (like would it wipe it clean, look at it as a guest iphone, be able to recognize it).

Except, the iphone doesn't recognize it is plugged into a computer (it starts charging but doesn't say syncing or anything) and itunes acts like nothing got plugged in at all. They totally are not making any recognition that they are connected (The iphone is treating the laptop like a plug in the wall charger basically).

How do I get itunes to recognize there is an iphone connected to it?

I just want to add if it helps, I just tried my ipod (though I haven't synced the ipod in a while) and it recognizes it (and it does not recognize it as a new ipod but as what I named it and everything). And my old computer recognizes my iphone fine.

2. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

3. dave7196 macrumors newbie

How did you fix this problem? I'm having the same issue.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I recently bought a new iMac I transferred applications and data from my old machine using Migration Assistant. That way I transferred all my iPhone, itunes, network, mail and account settings etc. with no problems.

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Sadly, I don't remember, I just fuxored around with it til it worked but it's been a while so I forget how I got it to work.

Yeah, but I was trying to just install the programs I wanted from scratch cause I felt I probably had a lot of unwanted crap (spyware) and stuff from surfing the web on my old computer and wanted to make sure it didn't get put on the new one. It was just one theory why my old computer was so frikkin slow (it felt like it had a lot of crap running in the background, it was very laggy. I've since erased most stuff from it and have it on bare bones and it does run better plus realized that firefox is frikkin laggy in itself. My new computer runs firefox better but still has some pause time like the old one, just not as long and usually only when firefox first starts).