New Macbook Pro... Kernel Panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenbass1, May 7, 2011.

1. greenbass1 macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post here. I just bought my first mac yesterday (a 2011 i5 Macbook pro, 13"). I was playing around in Garageband for a while and all of sudden a message came up on the screen saying that i need to restart the computer by holding down the power button. After I restarted an error report came up asking if i want to send the report to apple. My MBP isn't connected to the internet yet so i couldn't send it to apple but i had a look at the report and it said something about a panic and then had multiple lines of code underneath. After that the macbook worked fine until earlier today when I went on Garageband again (I was recording myself singing with one of the loops), and the same thing happened to me again.
    I'm a bit dissapointed that I've spent this much money on a computer and it has already crashed twice in a 24hr period. Is something wrong with my macbook? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Locodice macrumors regular

Does this mean you haven't updated it since you got it? if so will explain your issues I'm sure.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Did you buy it from Apple? If so I would not bother trying to diagnose it since you are still in the return period. Take it back and get another one. Save yourself a headache. It could be as minor as a bad stick of RAM or as major as a faulty mainboard.

Don't be disappointed entirely. This stuff happens. Of the over two dozen Macs I've owned over the past 20 years, I've had my fair share of things like this. It's part of buying tech.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Clearly something you're plugging into it is causing the crash. My suggestion would be to do a PRAM reset and if that doesn't help boot into 32-bit mode and try again.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most likely a RAM issue. If you're still in the 14 day return period, return it and get another one.

6. greenbass1 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but if an update will fix the problem I'll try that.
    Thanks for the advice. No, I bought it from a store that stocks Macs. Should I call Apple or just take it back to the store? Is this common with the new 2011 macbook pros? If so I don't wan't to exchange it for another that has the same problem.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not common, but it happens. Highly unlikely a replacement would also have the issue. I'd go back to the store and see if they will exchange for you. Hopefully they will b/c since you didn't buy from Apple all they will do is repair which is a bummer on a new machine, esp. since it will be out of your hands for a few days.

BTW another poster did raise a good point -- when you had the panic did you have any USB or other ext devices connected? If so remove them and see if the problem still happens.

8. greenbass1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The first time it happened I had headphones connected and also was using a keyboard via USB but I'm not actually sure if the keyboard was connected at the exact time it happened. But the second time all I had connected was headphones. So it shouldn't be the keyboard, and surely it couldn't be caused be headphones could it?

9. nowstime macrumors regular

I recently bought a MBP 15 and had a severe Kernel Panic experience. It could be a bad ram, software issue or hardware issue. Either case for me, if you're within the return period, hope you go straight to the store and ask for an exchange. Trying to find the cause of the KP is too much of a hassle for me when you can simply exchange it for a new one.

Purchased mine from Apple and did a return and the replacement is super smooth...loving the machine.

(in my case it was a hardware issue...took me 5 days to back it up on Time Capsule...I had to reinstall OSX to see if it was a hardware issue and it was...)

10. retrorichie macrumors member

What 3rd party peripherals are you using? As a for-instance, I was getting kernel panics all the time until I discovered that the problem was with my Microsoft bluetooth mouse. I know, it seems impossible. But it was indeed the case.

11. greenbass1 thread starter macrumors newbie

None, the second time it happened all I had was my headphones plugged into the audio jack.