New Macbook Pro Keyboard Cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harmlessgoat22, Jan 6, 2010.

1. harmlessgoat22 macrumors member

I've searched, and found several threads relating to this, but none that helped me, so I'm asking...

I have one of the new Macbook Pros, and they keyboard looks like it has grease stains on it. There are shiny spots on the larger keys where I press them the most, and on most of the regular sized keys. I've tried everything. I started trying water with paper towel, water with a smooth cloth (the kind that you get to wipe your glasses with), 409 with paper towel, bleach with paper towel...still, it's not coming off at all. It's really annoying, and there has to be some way to clean these keys...As a last resort, I could probably take the keys off the computer and put them in soapy water overnight, but that's not preferable. Ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think if you're unable to remove it, that's pretty much the end result of not cleaning before it got to be shiny. It's basically oil and if carefully using detergent and water doesn't clean it, then that's probably how it's going to look like. If you're going to get annoyed if more keys end up the same way, I highly suggest getting a Moshi ClearGuard.

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

After a while the oils from our hands just work their way into the plastic and become impossible to remove. That and as the keys wear they become shiny, the only way to really prevent this is to get a keyboard cover. You can reduce the amount of oils on the surface of the keys by using some rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips, or what I have found to be the best using iKlear.

But sorry to tell you, the shiny keys are going to stay and will only get worse. So if I were you I would look into a keyboard cover.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

They're not coming off. I already noticed my space bar starting to get shiny.

5. puma1552 macrumors 603

some of the chemicals and abrasives people use to clean their machines are unbelievable.

6. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

It's not coming off because it's keyboard wear, not necessarily oil and grease.

The keys themselves are being rubbed down until they are smooth. It's not something any cleaner will fix. The material itself is just smoother.

It happens on all keyboards, it's just much more noticeable on black keys than white.

7. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

It's best to get a Moshi Clearguard when you get your computer so that the keys are not worn down. Try scrubbing the keys with iKlear (it helps...a little), and then the only thing you can do after that is to get a Clearguard (and if you have OCD and have spare cash, just skip the iKlear part and get a keyboard replacement)

8. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You can only see the shiny parts (wear) when you look at the keyboard at an angle in certain lighting. So it's really not that big of a deal.

11. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

It's just what happens.
    As others have stated, it's just wear from usage, and there is nothing (short of using a cover right out of the box, or not using it at all) you can do to prevent it.
    It's going to happen no matter how much you clean it. All cleaning it is going to do is lessen the look of it.

Just use it and don't worry. Unless you look at it at the right angle of lighting, you don't even notice it.

12. harmlessgoat22 thread starter macrumors member

It's not the visual part that I don't like, it's that the keys have a different feel on the smoother parts. But it's not a huge deal. Thanks anyway

13. Zianac macrumors member

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem or not... but I've used a Magic Eraser to get those off in the past... I just make sure the power isn't connected, the battery is out, and the magic eraser is just barely damp.

14. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

another option is getting a keyboard cover. I bought one from iSkin.com

It will cover your blemishes, little stylish and will keep from getting worse. :)

iSkin

15. hitmantech macrumors newbie

Oil is a lipid. Lipids are fats and oils. Well on a molecular level. Detergents are agents that pick up the lipids and attach themselves to lipid molecules. Then water clings on to the other part of a detergent molecule. When water is rinsed over it, the lipids go with it. That is your best bet. :)