New Macbook Pro Keyboard - Questions before fitting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNeko, Sep 3, 2008.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

I've just received a keyboard for my Macbook Pro - as I've worn mine out (some of the keys have issues and keycaps are a bit damaged) however, the keyboard I have received is the US version for a later model (it has the next/previous track, play/pause keys and the volume keys on F10 - F12) where as I have a UK spec Rev A Core Duo machine. Will this keyboard just be a straight swap, or will I face some issues - I don't want to take the machine apart only to find this keyboard won't work! Thanks

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

That doesn't sound like my MBP keyboard (US model, mid-2007)

I don't have next/previous track keys, and my volume keys are F3-F5.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I would guess that it should be a straight swap, but the keyboard firmware may be different, as you have the Penryn MBP keyboard.

But wait and see what other posters say...

4. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I asked the company I bought it from and they said it is indeed the wrong one and will not work (as I ordered a Core Duo keyboard and they sent me a Core 2 Duo Penryn one) so I've returned it - I managed to nab a "damaged" keyboard for less than £5 off eBay so I can hopefully salvage some keycaps/scissor mechanisms off it and repair mine :eek: ah well, now I know!

5. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I did the keyboard tapdancing myself over the summer. I kept getting the pre-Penryn ones when I needed the Penryn.

The old ones indeed wouldn't have worked. Just make sure if you need the 17" to get the one designated for 15/17" and not just the 15". Unless that doesn't affect the older models because of the keyboard backlighting under the trackpad.

Anyone want to confirm for future reference in case someone searches this thread out?

6. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

Any chance you could let me know where you got the Penryn Keyboard from? I spilled a drink on mine (I know I know:rolleyes:) and now half the keyboard is sticky and the backlight is glowing very brightly in the middle and dim at the edges.. I've checked on a few sites and there's no way to tell which are the Penryn ones and which arent. Cheers