New macbook pro mid-2014 review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pragmatous, Aug 1, 2014.

1. pragmatous macrumors 65816

So I finally got my new macbook pro mid-2014 15" base w/ dGPU. I'm coming from the mid-2012 cMBP.

So I got a samsung SSD. I got a LG LCD panel. Although the screen looks pretty amazing. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

I changed the resolution from retina to 1200p. The new retina is just amazingly thin. A bit lighter. A lot faster. I mean I go to click on something it opens before I ever click on it! lol ok not really but it's super fast. It's like night and day compared to my cMBP.

The biggest change to get use to is the power button is where the eject dvd button is in the cMBP. So ya don't hit the button thinking you might have a dvd in the drive. lol. Yes I'm aware it doesn't have a dvd drive. It's a bad habit I guess.

I definitely recommend that if you have a macbook pro already and you're upgrading to a new one; you should purchase a thunderbolt cable. With the migration utility you can connect both macs with the thunderbolt cable and your migration will be done a lot faster. I used an ethernet cable because I didn't have a thunderbolt cable. It took about an hour.

It wouldn't connect to time machine. I kept getting an error. I'm not sure why so I used the migration wizard. That one worked great. You may want to wipe your time machine clean and start over though.

Ya so it's awesome. I'm very happy with this one. This will be the last macbook pro I buy for awhile though. 2 macs in as many years is a bit much. Not to say I didn't like my last mac. I did. I just wanted better resolution, thinner, and lighter. Oh ya and 4k monitor support.

:apple:

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Congrats. I just picked up a late 2013 from the refurb store. Looking forward to upgrading from my early 2011 MBP.

3. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool. In the future I'll definitely be doing refurbs for my next upgrade mainly because I plan to keep this until it no longer turns on anymore.

I kind of planned it this way really.