New MacBook Pro Models Lack Optical Audio Out via Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple appears to have removed optical audio output support from the headphone jack on its new 13-inch MacBook Pro with function keys, suggesting it is unlikely to have made the transition in the Touch Bar equipped models either.

Optical audio output is used to link Macs to home theater setups and A/V systems capable of multi-channel surround sound, by way of a mini TOSlink adapter connected to the 3.5mm jack.

[​IMG]

The removal of optical audio was first noted by AppleInsider, after it was discovered that Apple's technical specifications for the headphone jack no longer mentions support for "audio line out (digital/analog)".

Removal of the standard was confirmed by comparing the System Profiler report on a new 13-inch MacBook Pro, which makes no mention of S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output, against reports on 2015 models, which do.

[​IMG]
    Support for optical audio out, as it appears on a 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro

When queried about the removal, Apple said the feature was dropped due to a lack of customers using the functionality, noting that "plenty of USB-C zero-latency professional peripherals are available now, or coming very soon" with optical audio out connectivity.

The phasing out of the standard from the new MacBook Pro models follows a trend that began with the Apple TV. Apple ditched the optical audio port on the fourth generation Apple TV in favor of a USB-C port, preventing users from connecting headphones directly to the device.

Article Link: New MacBook Pro Models Lack Optical Audio Out via Headphone Jack

2. gpat macrumors 6502a

... so this invalidates Phil Schiller's answer about the audio jack?

3. sashimimi macrumors member

4. Kulfon macrumors regular

And they are still surprised by the level of criticism.

5. azing macrumors 6502

Another bad news story every day.

What next? It secretly runs Windows but not MacOS :eek:

6. logics8 macrumors member

Well, they should've kept HDMI since it does more audio codecs. I understand that Optical caps out at 5.1.

7. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

It's becoming ever more apparent that this is just a beefed-up MacBook, and not a Pro machine. If I were a creative professional who was waiting for an update, I'd be pricing out a Windows laptop at this point.

8. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

...So what does this thing exactly do, when compared to 12" MacBook?

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Of course they lack optical out. I can't wait for the next revelation where there's no battery inside and that too must be connected by dongle.

10. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

So everybody will know what Phil Schiller means with Pro moniker.
    Everybody except who doesn't want to know.

11. syndalis macrumors regular

Be less mad at Apple and be mad at the industry that has more or less universally discarded the standard. TOSlink is hardly on anything being made any more.

As an owner of 5.1 wireless headphones that rely on TOSlink to work, let me point you im the direction of a Tendak TOSlink breakout box for HDMI.

Tendak 4K x 2K HDMI to HDMI and Optical TOSLINK SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo Audio Extractor Converter HDMI Audio Splitter Adapter(HDMI Input, HDMI + Digital / Analog Audio Output) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017B6WFP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aKghyb5RQR9PY

Put this wherever your sound system is, along with an HDMI to USB-c connector, and you can continue using optical audio receivers without an issue.

12. Morpheo macrumors 6502a

Morpheo

I'm with Apple on this one. I wonder how many people used this feature on the previous gen. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's useful. If you call yourself a "pro" you're probably using something else for your digital I/O needs.

13. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

I hope this product fails so bad Apple wants to cut the price in half. I guess it is too expensive for me given all the negative sides to buy one, I guess.

14. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

Hmmmmmmm tvOS and iOS single sign-on gets front-and-centre attention on main page, and a mac story gets pushed in the right sidebar ....... hmmmmmm

15. LewisChapman macrumors 6502

LewisChapman

I'm glad we have Apple to tell us what we need and don't need now!

16. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

yes, but the new mbp costs more than the previous ones ;)

17. kidaje macrumors regular

Keeps getting better and better with these new MacBooks..

18. mwb macrumors newbie

19. v654321 macrumors member

More and more you're buying a cats in bags with Apple. Gone are the days you'd blindly think/assume that buying an Apple product would have your needs covered.

Gimmicky features, drastic price increases, reduced port selection and bricked long standing functionality.

Can't innovate my ass.

20. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I bet most of the people moaning about it have never even used optical audio and have little clue about what it does.

21. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Other way around. If we needed it, people would have been using it. Were you or anyone you know ever using a MBP to feed optical audio to a home theater?

22. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I hope Apple cuts the price in half also. Because I'm selfish. I hope they include all the adapters I personally need, for free (but not any that I don't need, because that would be wasteful).

23. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

What makes the MBP actually PRO?
    The retina monitor, the thunderbolt 3 feature?
    A really fast SSD?

The macbook has that too, most of it.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

And the hits just keep on coming.

Also - unless they are collecting user data - how can they possibly know if their customers are using that port?

25. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Yup. The same people complain about a car not having a wifi hotspot built in that they never wanted and never would have used.