New Macbook Pro (Non-Retina)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maclovertoo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Maclovertoo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm an amateur digital photographer. Heck, these days, who isn't?

I have three questions for all you experts.

I currently have a 2004 iMac and am now ready to buy a new computer. I want a laptop. I really don't want to have to buy a laptop and a desktop due to $$$. I want a MacBook Pro (not the new retina display one, though for many reasons). I plan to configure as follows:

15" 2.6 GHz
    1 TB Serial ATA Drive
    Hi-Res Antiglare Display

Would it really be worth the extra $250 to upgrade to the 2.7 GHz processor?

I've heard not so great things about Elements & the MacBook Pro (see recent thread I posted below). For photo editing and jazzing up images using watercolor featuers, etc. Is Photoshop Elements the best software?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391806

Am I doing myself a disservice by buying the laptop instead of another iMac? My reasoning is that even the new laptops are so much more powerful than what I'm using now that I'm fine. However, I tend to only buy computers every 8-10 years, so is this the best buy for the long haul?

Thanks for any advice!

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

#1 - No it isn't worth it. You'd be better off putting that money to more RAM.

#2 - Can't answer as I use Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. You can look into lightroom as a trial and see if that will do what you need it to.

#3 - Buying a computer for the future is wrong on so many levels. Will it suit your needs 10 years down the road? Maybe and maybe not. But do you even know where you'll be, what you'll be doing in that time? That's a hell of a long time. Buy what will suit your needs now (the MBP will be fine) and just enjoy the thing.

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I think you've answered that in your first question

The iMac is a perfectly fine device, but the one problem is the glass. I could probably live with the one reflective surface - but two is a problem (unless you can redesign your house to get around this).

4. Maclovertoo thread starter macrumors newbie