New MacBook Pro - now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erinkilkenny, Feb 23, 2009.

1. erinkilkenny macrumors newbie

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, though a longtime reader of macrumors.com.

So I'm having some terrible problems with my MBP (Core2Duo 2.33 2gb ram, late 2006). I think it's the logic board - It intermittently won't start up, and the firewire ports randomly don't work and/or crash the machine, and the lights on the keyboard are broken. I still have valid AppleCare, so I was going to send it to apple to get repaired... The only problem is that I can't really part with my laptop for even a few days.

So, being a designer with a constant (and expensive) need for a very high-end machine, I was going to get a new MacBook Pro whenever the next generation came out, as this one is starting to suck my will to live now that so many projects are in HD.

Here's the question: should I just buy a new MPB, send the old one off to be repaired, and try to sell it when it gets back all fixed up? Dumb idea?

Also, what does everyone think about the performance jump in the next generation MPB - huge and worth waiting for, or no big deal? Are people generally happy with the newest MBPs?

Thanks for your help.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Spec bump next. Nothing big.

3. EB66 macrumors 6502

buy when you need which is now and I would say the last update was pretty recent and was a big change so the next one will most likely just be a speed bump as said earlier they usually cycle it like that