Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
title pretty much says it all. I simply don't have the time to do a clean install at this point in time, but with a new MBP that is still on El Capitain, (my current DD is on El Cap too), should one upgrade the current machine to Sierra first, upgrade the new machine to Sierra and THEN migrate, or is it better to MIGRATE to the new machine first and THEN upgrade the new machine to Sierra?

thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you buy a 2016 MacBook Pro, it will have Sierra pre-installed.

2015 MBPro's may still come with El Capitan (mine did).

I decided to stick with El Cap for the foreseeable future...

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
thanks for the note.. this was a 2015 rMBP Sept build date (don't like the new one enough) so it came with El Cap installed.. so I'm' trying to get a bead on upgrade best practice as the file system is going to be different, etc.. I might do a fresh install at some point in the future, just can't commit to that at the moment.

any other takers for best practice tips?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
My preference would be:
Do a backup of the current El Capitan install (in case the Sierra install does not go well), install Sierra, make sure Sierra is working satisfactorily, backup the new Sierra install (in case the migration does not go well) and then do the migration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.