Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
right here's the story.

I'm 15 in Australia, and I've just got my first job. I have my mind on 2 things, a new MacBook Pro or a digital SLR camera.

I need some trusty MacRumors opinion.

Regarding computers and cameras i currently have the family 20 inch 1.5gb iMac in my room, and a Pentax Optio E30 7.2MP 3x zoom point and shoot camera.

I was thinking around the $1000ish mark for a digital SLR, and would only get base model MacBook Pro or a shiny silver standard MacBook if I was scraping for money.

To get $1000 on a rather low Woolworths salary (A$7.85, this will hopefully go up in a few months after my "probationary period") at 12ish hours a week it would take about 3 months assuming I don't buy anything else. So a $3199 MBP would be 9-10 months.

What do the people of the Mac community think?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
We can't decide this for you. Get what you need most. Although, not to be harsh, at age 15 I don't know if you really need either. Tough decision? Sure, but it's yours entirely to make...

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
True true, I don't really need either.

However I was thinking a MBP could come in handy coming into senior years soon...

The camera would be my toy. I do photography at school and I love the control you have over the manual (film) cameras there.

The more i think about it the more i think no camera because i already have one and a laptop will be more useful. But then i also think about the fact that there is a perfectly useful iMac in my room which is basically mine anyway as mum has a macbook and my little bro has a 17" white imac.

Hmm...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
It sounds like you probably need a notebook more than a camera. Have a look on Apple's refurb page if you're alright with previous generation hardware.

That said, SLRs are pretty good fun. Do you have an online folio of your work?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The question is why you need the latest "pro" MacBook, and can't do with a used DSLR (from a shop).

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Okay, reading what you just wrote, I'm going to sound like your mom now. Sorry...

Save up the money. Put it away for when you really do need it. And you will need it, one day. Buy some furniture from it for when you move out. Get your driver's license when you're old enough. Those things will be way more important when the time comes you need them than a camera or laptop will be now. As you wrote, they would be toys, really.

Conclusion: save it. Put it on the bank. Look for a savings account with good interest rates. You'll thank me for it later. It'll be hard not to buy the things you want but don't need. I just put my iMac on SecondhandMac.com because I rarely use it, since I got the new MacBook. Lesson learned? Don't get what you don't need. The money will get you the stuff you do need in due time.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
i think its a good thing i asked here - i've been thrown back into reality.

i really don't need a macbook pro - i am not a pro, i dont need to spend that money, i'm not that fussed on the design (but its working on me)....

and i dont really need a DSLR either...i like photography but don't consider myself good enough to justify the price or general need when i have a perfectly working camera right here which does just fine.

for some reason the thought of a 'standard' macbook or a 'point and shoot' camera is horrifying....what am i thinking?

now that i am thinking back on earth, i am thinking refurb (or new?) white macbook..... agreed?

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
okay mum....

i think this would be the best option....

"don't get what i don't need"....i like that

thanks for your help Bengt77 i think you brought me back down, even after i thought i already was down.

i shall save!

so until i lose my self control and spend the money...Adiós!

What film SLRs do you use at school?
no idea i would have to check tomorrow

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
i enjoy fiddling with focus and d.o.f and i like trying to be pro :p but yes as i said above, i really dont know enough to justify the price.

saving seems like the best idea...christmas soon though!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Yep.... same thing here! Save up bit by bit. Put away a limited amount every month and dont count on it when you get that insurmountable urge to get that gadget!

But as I say.... you dont really have to put away every penny that you earn! You're young now and you get to enjoy so why not get yourself an entry level DSLR.... the canon XS/1000D or the Sony A200 (~USD500) are good places to start and comparatively cheaper than a MBP ($2000). Whats more photography never wasted anyone and you'll get a good hobby.... one you'll enjoy.

Then again only go for it if you can imagine yourself carrying a 2 pound camera with lots of controls and be EXCITED at the prospect! If you're not excited then I say..... save the rest after putting away your monthly quota for something bigger like the MB!

Its also stupid to make highly ambitious limits.... you'll simply fail if you aim at putting away over 50-60% of your earnings!

My $2/100

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If the cameras at school are only fully manual, check if there are also some photometers there. Otherwise, you can get an old one for a few bucks.

Then you can learn the Zone System!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i enjoy fiddling with focus and d.o.f and i like trying to be pro :p but yes as i said above, i really dont know enough to justify the price.

SLR Photography is a really expensive hobby. I've just put an order on for a lens which is going to set me back about 1600. As a 19 year old, it is a lot of money, but I really love photography, and I think there is a chance it'll earn me the money back some day.

Have you had a look at the Canon G10? I know a few people who have owned one, and they say it's a really good camera. If you can find an S3 or an S5 IS, they are exceptional as well. Have a look at my deviantart page (link in sig) for some pics taken with an S3.

I also reckon saving is a good idea. Try putting about a third or half of your earnings into a savings account and leave it there until you really need it.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
For a beginner who's still confused b/w a computer or a camera..... I doubt that a $1600 G or U/S/HSM will be an option any time soon!

But though.... there's no end to photography add-ons and one can find a lens ranging from 200 to 2000.......

P.S.:What camera? Which lens?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I'll agree with others, it really doesn't sound like you need the MBP.

However, the camera could provide a valuable learning tool if photography is something you're keen on pursuing. I know I've seen both the Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel for well under $500 (US). No idea how that translates across the pond, but why not consider an entry level dSLR if (big IF) you're really interested in getting more into the photography.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
We can't decide this for you. Get what you need most. Although, not to be harsh, at age 15 I don't know if you really need either. Tough decision? Sure, but it's yours entirely to make...

We can decide for you. Or at least, make your decision easier. Well, I'm 15 and I own a MacBook and an SLR. Brought the SLR because I love taking photos, and I brought the MacBook because I wanted a laptop that I can do schoolwork, internet browsing, photo and video editing, play games, and more.

Michael, if you were to buy the MBP, what will you use it for? IMO a MacBook would be plenty. You'll be surprised on how powerful it is. But if you have a strong passion for photography, then I'm sure you'll be very impressed with a shiny new SLR. I think you should go for the SLR only because you have an iMac already to the point where it's practically yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.