New MacBook Pro or iMac + iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Appelsap, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Appelsap macrumors member

Hi all,

I am still a student, but I'm planning on finishing college in about 2 months from now.

Currently have:
    - MacBook Pro (early 2008). This one is about 2 years old when i want to sell it.
    - External 26'' Samsung monitor.
    - Magic Mouse + bluetooth keyboard

What i want:

Choice 1:
    - New MacBook Pro (and sometimes connect it to the external screen)

Choice 2:
    - iMac 27''
    - iPad

What do i want to do with it:
    Well, since im not going to college anymore I use the setup most of the time at home. I mainly use my current equipment to watch movies, email, read my rss feed, playing World of Warcraft, messing around with VMware. And a bit messing with webdevelopment.

Anyone has some advice for me?
    Thanks

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

get two gadgets - iMac and iPad.

way better solution, plus the 27" is TDF!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd get the Macbook Pro. That way you only feel the need to replace one device when you feel it's outdated.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The fact that you have a Macbook Pro already and considering switching to a desktops suggests that you don't really need a laptop and use your computer in one location? If that's the case get the iMac and then get an iPad for the small amount of time that you need portability.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. As you already have a nice monitor and mouse + KB, MBP would be a better choice. iPad is nice but it can't replace a real laptop. Of course if you don't need much portability and are fine with limited device like iPad, then iMac might be a better choice

6. Appelsap thread starter macrumors member

Well, First i wanted an iMac because they look amazing! But now i lean more towards an MacBook Pro. I can use it anywhere i want in my room :) Watch a movie on the couch or in bed.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

You can do that with an iPad too and you cant beat 27 inchs.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

WoW, VMWare, and web development pretty much eliminate an iPad from the equation.

My vote is for the MBP + external display.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The iMac and iPad sounds pretty good to me. But I would certainly wait
    and see what these new MBP's look like first (as they are expected anytime).

10. dtcurrie macrumors newbie

Why Not A Mac Mini?

If you already have a functional keyboard, mouse, and display, then it seems like you could grab a mac mini and an iPad, and then have money left over to take your mother out to a nice meal.

11. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I am in the same exact boat

I am at a point where I am worried that I wont be able to upgrade every 2-3 years like I currently do, so i feel like I am in the same boat. Marriage, kids, etc. Whatever I buy this week needs to definitely last me 3 years, and to me, the imac i7 and ipad would give me more longevity than a laptop with an i7 processor......is my thinking flawed?

12. Appelsap thread starter macrumors member

i am a bit disappointed with the current MBP updates. I dont think it's a big upgrade from my current (early 2008) MBP.

13. duky macrumors 6502

What is it you were hoping for them to do besides up the processor, put better graphics, drop the price and increase the battery life (significantly from your early 2008 MBP)?

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

iMac + iPad

iMac is a bit expensive compared to the competition, but even with the new update the price of the MBP's is way too much. HP/Dell sell laptops with much better specs for a lot less

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

there is a VMWare management app in the app store

16. Appelsap thread starter macrumors member

Well, its all a bit better but the GPU is still low on memory and i already got 4gb of ram. Harddrive is a minor size upgrade. Dont think its worth € 1.749,00.

Guess i will just wait a few weeks/months till next iMac update and then buy one 27'' and go for an additional iPad.

I can use my external 26'' monitor for my xbox, iTv etc. Can i also use it to make my iMac screen even bigger? :p