New Macbook Pro or Ipad 3G or both?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayneholbrook, Mar 30, 2010.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Good evening everyone, I'm not sure if thier are some people like me out there wondering what to do with the new Ipad coming out.

I have a 24inc imac and want to update it soon. I also pre-ordered the Ipad 3G. To make matters worse I wanted the new Macbook Pro when it gets refreshed anyday now. I already have an Iphone 3GS.

So my point being; do i need an ipad 3G and a Macbook Pro or can the Ipad handle most of the load. I was wondering if the Ipad could actually run pages or word on it, if not, I gues I have no choice but to get the pro as well.

Way to many gadgets, I'm loosing my mind. Help me with a quick decision?

2. juandixon109 macrumors member

3. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

Well the ipad does run a mobile version of iwork that you can check out by watching the recent keynote. If I were you, then I would definately watch that to see if it will do all the productivity you need.

Now with that said you have to remember that it is not an all in one computing solution. That is the main thing you need to think about when deciding whether to get another laptop or not. The ipad maybe be an easy portable solution for some things but a notebook can do so much more.

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

We don't really know the potential of the iPad yet, so I would get the MBP over the iPad, to avoid any disappointment. That's if you plan to get rid of the iMac, though.

That's just me, though.

5. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

You are absolutely right in that we don't know the potential for the iPad yet but there is no way that it will compete with what a Macbook can do. I agree with you in that just getting a MBP is the way to go.

6. kawixsiyu macrumors member

I think you should wait for the new Macbook pro. They can do so much more and are alot faster. The iPad looks cool and all, but what more will it do that your iPhone and a future Macbook pro cannot?

7. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

Oh yeah I forgot that TS stated that he was worried about the iPad's iWork productivity. The keynote I referred him to earlier should have cleared that up though. If that is all you need for computing in the field then an iPad might be all you need until you get home.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Already have the MBP and 64G ipad. Hoping for a really good refresh of the Mac Air. If it has 4G of RAM and a better screen and battery then that's where I'll put some aapl dollars. :p

9. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Get both. I made that decision completely understanding that a lot of the things I planned to do with the iPad I could do with my MacBook Pro. Though my MBP is my sole computer and I love to always have the new thing so that made my decision a little easier.

10. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

Well that sucks that you always like to have the new thing, seeing as how you bought that two weeks ago and they are about to release the MBP refresh here shortly. That is the only thing holding me back from purchasing my second macintosh of my life thus far. My last was a PowerMac G5 dual processor and I loved it but I'm going portable because of my job now. I suspect that I'll invest in a new MacPro desktop in another year or so though.

I go all out when I get desktops and I still buy separate parts to build my own PC's. That is just a symptom of my computer hobby that I have OCD with. This is also why I switched career fields from Weather to IT.

11. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Thank you for all your responses, my wife and I are starting school again (online school) after a number of years in our carreer.

Like I said I have a 24 inch Imac thats about 19 months old, but need something very portable due to the fact my wife and I will be doing school on the go. So I decided that we must buy 2 macbook pros. However I am waiting for the re-fresh before i buy.

I pre-ordered two Ipads, and thought "hey, maybe I can just use these ipads instead of the two macbook pro's."

The more i'm reading the more I see that is not going to be the case. Now I see why I cant save money anymore, these new products keep coming out, and I cant keep up, I'm loosing my mind, like a kid in a candy store!

12. iketeru macrumors member

for something like school, you won't be able to reach the level of productivity you need with an iPad (maybe not for a while, at least). that said, i'm guessing saving for tuition costs isn't an issue since you're snatching up all these gadgets :p

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

As much as I think that iPad is going to be really great, in your case the MBP is a way to go. I'm back in school as well, and my MBP attached to an ACD is working great. Also, because the MS Office for Mac is not completely compatible with its Windows version, I sometimes need to run a Windows virtual machine in order to share some of my documents with the classmates. I wouldn't be able to do so using an iPad.

14. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

What may I ask is an "ACD"?

15. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Apple Cinema Display