New Macbook Pro or Old Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy20412, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Andy20412 macrumors newbie

So I've finally decided to cross over from PC world to the mac world. I am looking to buy a new laptop, but am having trouble deciding to buy the new macbook pro or the old macbook pro (both in new condition)? I don't do much photo editing/video editing, but do some basic stuff from time to time and would like to get a MBP rather than a MB just because it's a more powerful laptop. I've looked at the specs between the two machines, but am having trouble deciding which one to get. One one hand, I could get a decent old MBP for like $1400 or get a new MBP for $1899 (student discounts). Which machine am I better off with? I'm looking at performance and is the extra $500 worth for the new version of the MBP?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I don't think the new MBP is worth the difference in money. My advice would be to buy the old one, wait for (the inevitable) updates in the next year or so, and then, if they appeal to you - or are sufficiently technologically advanced as to require purchase, sell your MBP and invest in a new MBP.

Cheers and good luck

3. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Yeah, the MBP didn't exactly get a whole lot out of the recent bump. You should be fine with the old one.

Reconsider the MB - according to tests, it is now almost as good as the MBP for almost everything aside from gaming and video editing.