New Macbook Pro or Old

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sMiK, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sMiK macrumors regular

sMiK

Hello, I'm considering to change my current iMac to a Macbook Pro, as I need more portability. I am working with Logic Studio, sometimes may turn some games on. So I'm thinking wether it's worth buying a 2.4Ghz new macbook pro 15" (the low-range model) or an old 15" or 17"version of 2.6Ghz or around that but that would also give me 8600 with 512 MB. Because the prices are quite similar now. I know the new macbook pro has got a better front-side bus, but will this make a big impact on doing what I do.. I'm not sure. Plus I'm not sure about the cache level on old macbook pros as the low range 2.4Ghz now has only 3MB, probly they won't have much as well... Just tell me what do you think

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

I would go with the old gen MBP, i like the design a lot more and front side bus wont make much of a difference and including front side bus the old gen is faster not 2.6ghz 800 mhz fsb> 2.4 ghz 1066 mhz fsb

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you get the older model, make danged sure you get applecare on it. The nvidia chips are said to be problematic. Danged sure, I say!

4. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

Problematic? Never really heard of it? New MacBook also has nvidia in it has it

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Old one has nvidia 8600 card, new one has nvidia 9600. Do a search for the following thread:

So are all mbp owners with the 8600m GT cards screwed?!?

6. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

this just takes me away from a wish to buy that laptop with 8600. Because it was one of the good reasons I wanted it, because I couldn't really find any refurbished or cheaper macbook pros with 2.66 or 2.53 and a 512MB chip, at least those that can be shipped to UK...

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If it has applecare, you don't have to worry about it for three years. So, if your card fries in two and a half years, you'll get a brand new one! And there is a chance that nvidia remedied the problem in the meanwhile. I recently got a 2nd macbook pro, and I deliberately went out and bought an older 2.33 model at a discount because it had the last mobile ati card, and not the nvidia.

But, in the name of all that is holy, make absolutely sure you buy applecare for it! Come to think of it, you should do the same with any mac laptop. Macs come with a logicboard (or motherboard) that's hard to get to, hard to replace, and if it goes out, the cost of the repair will be more than what an older system is worth. Besides the coverage, you also get telephone tech support for your system and all the included iSoftware. If you get an apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, they're covered, too.

You can get applecare for a discount off of ebay or craigslist, just make sure you get a receipt and an unopened box.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

go for the old macbook pro. It's still an awesome machine. ;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. sMiK thread starter macrumors regular

sMiK

so if I get a MacBook from third party how will apple know when I got it? And how to connect apple care with the machine? Plus I am very interested in peoples opponions about the difference of working in logic or pro tools on both machines

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Either get a copy of the original owners receipt along with bill of sale of machine to you, or use apple support site to track down manufacturing date of system through serial number.